Second Skin Audio

What is box rise

Impalalpine

as stated above. I have heard about it all up and down these forums?

Build's consist of:

2004 Chevy Impala :

Pioneer--------------------- DEH-X8600bs Soundqubed/AQ------ Q4-120

Rockford Fosgate---- Punch-500.4

Soundqubed/AQ----- Q1-3500D.1 Alpine----------------- 6.5's & 6x9's

Subs: TBA All Knukonceptz and SHCA wire and rca's

Home Music Setup

(4) Soundqubed HDS200 15's in two separate 15.5 cubic foot enclosures tuned to 31 hrz --- XM radio hardwire

Updates coming all the time on both builds

n8ball2013

"bullshit. Everything fits. If you cut enough."

Box rise is when your enclosure reaches a "zen-like" state and starts to levitate.

In all seriousness, it's not called box rise, it's impedance rise. As far as explaining, I'm hoping someone else jumps in, too much to type. It involves the change in ohm load at your amp due to the dynamic and ever changing nature of music.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Box rise is when your enclosure reaches a "zen-like" state and starts to levitate.

In all seriousness, it's not called box rise, it's impedance rise. As far as explaining, I'm hoping someone else jumps in, too much to type. It involves the change in ohm load at your amp due to the dynamic and ever changing nature of music.

exactly why I sent him there to much to type

A raw audio driver will have a base impedance curve.

When placed inside an enclosure, the impedance curve can change, sometimes drastically.

There is much more to an audio driver then just its "nominal" rating.

Here's a combination of a few impedance sweeps done on a Hertz ES200 8" sub of mine:

ES200ImpedanceSweepAll_zpsfabb5741.png

Notice the blue line which is the raw driver in free air and its impedance peak of almost 30 ohms at about 30Hz.

The orange line is with it placed into a sealed enclosure. Notice the impedance peak changes to about 28 ohms at 40Hz.

The red line is with the driver in a ported box which is tuned to 38Hz. Notice the impedance sweep now has two peaks:

One at 22 ohms at about 21Hz and another of 21 ohms at about 54Hz. The impedance dip occurs at the box's tuning frequency of 38Hz.

Watch Tony D's videos. He mentions that you'll also see that these impedance curves change when your doors are open, windows up/down, trunk open/closed, different amount of people in the cabin....

So you can see that the true impedance that your amplifier sees is much more complicated then just the nominal value that you're wired to (0.5ohms,1ohm, 2ohms, etc).

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

The mystical powers or impedance and inductance mixing into a nirvana-like state, in full harmony with the Ohm (see what I did there? lol) and totally screwing with your theoretical specifications.

But really:

A subwoofer is a magnetic coil with an inductance. When you input AC current, the resistance (actually called impedance) varies depending on the frequency of the AC signal, as well as temperature. A woofer has its own impedance rise at the Fs of the woofer. Since the coil acts like an induct or, the impedance changes with frequency. If you look at any T/S sheet, you will see the peaks at it's resonant frequency (Fs). Many people do not realize this and understand that the impedance they are calling "impedance rise" is actually there with the woofer out of the box. But that being said, putting the woofer in a box also creates additional impedance spikes due to the box resonance and the port tuning, and because in the box, the cone has a different reaction with pressure behind it, which can change the impedance plot. Impedance of a woofer is based on an average as long as it is a certain percentage over the minimum/nominal impedance, but it is not a flat "X ohms", and again, it rises well above the nominal rated impedance at Fs.

If you really want to know in your case specifically, and you feel apt enough to try it out;

You can map out your impedance rise by measuring it at each frequency and then plotting the numbers. Hopefully you have a digi-multi meter and a clamp, that way you can use V(voltage)= I(current) x R(resistance).

If you only have a DMM, you can add a series non-inductive resistor and look at voltage at the amp vs. the voltage across the known resistor. The difference is the voltage dropped across the sub. Current can be calculated by the voltage across the resistor / value of the resistor. Once you know the current and the voltage across the sub, you can calculate the impedance at that frequency.

Biomedical/Behavioral Science Major, The (Self-Proclaimed) Undisputed-Homemade-Woofer-King

Super-Neodymium-Woofer Build Log: The D4BA-V.2 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169236-diy-super-neodymium-woofer-build-log/?p=2475620

Fucking love Alan you goddamned fucking super nerd lol

When Alan uses big words I don't understand

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

Everytime I see a guy driving a mini cooper I cant help but think he loves cock & (2/29/16)-My wife just bitched at me about throwing out things we don't really use. My response of well we don't really use your vagina so should we throw that out was evidently not the right response. I had to leave the room.

I missed Alan.

RIP 5/29/15 - I love you son.

summarization credit to b-ri if he is still alive. My full explanation would take hours to write. But if you want any more detail, I'll be glad to get into it :)

Biomedical/Behavioral Science Major, The (Self-Proclaimed) Undisputed-Homemade-Woofer-King

Super-Neodymium-Woofer Build Log: The D4BA-V.2 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169236-diy-super-neodymium-woofer-build-log/?p=2475620

Fucking love Alan you goddamned fucking super nerd lol

When Alan uses big words I don't understand

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

Everytime I see a guy driving a mini cooper I cant help but think he loves cock & (2/29/16)-My wife just bitched at me about throwing out things we don't really use. My response of well we don't really use your vagina so should we throw that out was evidently not the right response. I had to leave the room.

I missed Alan.

RIP 5/29/15 - I love you son.

Archived