Second Skin Audio

How to build enclosures as a side job?

shanesauce

just make sure you feel out the retards and choose to build for who you think can do a proper install. Always talk up people's electrical before you build.

2004 Grand Prix GT

(2) 12" RE XXXs (04/05 XBL^2)

5 cu. ft tuned @ 35 Hz

MMATS HD4000.05

MMATS SQ4100

Infinity Kappa components

Juice Box black cherry

Duralast platinum group 34

1/0 KNU OFC, 2/0 welding

Singer 250A

I have also thought about doing tower and bookshelf speakers for home use.

I will start out with a few of my own enclosures so I can get a portfolio going and then I will start trying to promote myself.

I have a buddy who is getting his fully custom airbagged truck back from the shop soon and he said he would let me do the audio in it so that might be good starter work.

I thought about offering installs too but I hate installs with a passion, installs are friends only lol.

- 2012 Mustang 3.7 Manual

- Audio under construction

I hate installs unless they are in my own vehicle.a

2004 Grand Prix GT

(2) 12" RE XXXs (04/05 XBL^2)

5 cu. ft tuned @ 35 Hz

MMATS HD4000.05

MMATS SQ4100

Infinity Kappa components

Juice Box black cherry

Duralast platinum group 34

1/0 KNU OFC, 2/0 welding

Singer 250A

I only do installs if the person drops the car off. I seriously cannot stand someone waiting on me, breathing down my neck watching everything I do. Plus I like to work at my own pace. Sometimes I need to run out to Home depot or whatever to grab something.

And on that note, I have two full-system, along with boxes, installs next week. Both people dropping their cars off. One is dropping it off all week. Lol.

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.

You guys hate installing? I have been interested in car audio since I was 15 years old. Right out of high school I started installing it was fun. However 10 years later I am now MMECP certified and would have never thought all the experience and knowledge would catch me one day to the point where I just don't wanna store any more in my head. But keep in mind I do this 9am-7pm with only one day off a week and only thanksgiving and Christmas off for a decade. It was fun while it lasted,but now I feel like a labor robot! Sad thing is car audio is still my hobby but when I have free time I refuse to do any work at all even on my own car. It is wise to keep a hobby just a hobby or you will just wear down as you gain experience

Boxes are fine. Start with friends and friends of friends. If you start doing installs (wiring, etc.) get your insurance right. One screwup on the wrong person's vehicle and you could be done.

I started at 16 and I'm 40 now. Pro for 22 years (amateur the first 3 duh). I'm now at a shop that doesn't do audio and after a couple years off I'm getting the itch to get back on my own builds. That's why I'm on here with you guys, for some inspiration and lulz.

You guys hate installing? I have been interested in car audio since I was 15 years old. Right out of high school I started installing it was fun. However 10 years later I am now MMECP certified and would have never thought all the experience and knowledge would catch me one day to the point where I just don't wanna store any more in my head. But keep in mind I do this 9am-7pm with only one day off a week and only thanksgiving and Christmas off for a decade. It was fun while it lasted,but now I feel like a labor robot! Sad thing is car audio is still my hobby but when I have free time I refuse to do any work at all even on my own car. It is wise to keep a hobby just a hobby or you will just wear down as you gain experience

Wow man, we all get to feeling that way sometimes. Sounds like you need a vacation or possibly a change of environment. I've been lucky to work for some incredible bosses and shops over the years but I've still felt the way you do sometimes. You NEED your time off. Everyone does. Take some vacation time and recharge. Or do something stupid to your own ride. Lower it, lift it, piggyback a set of wheels on a customer order so you get free freight or make them throw in one wheel for you for free (shhhh), build a crazy fiberglass box like you've never done, glass your tweeters into the pillars, etc. Make it fun and it will be fun. When you have people asking to see something they've heard about from other people that's in your car it can give you that little boost you need to make it through the week.

Are there careers where you could make more money and have less time commitment? Absolutely. Would I give up the friends I've made and the ability to build cool shit that I've acquired? Probably not.

Static drops are my bag.

Archived