audio control meter vs termlab meter numbers?

I would like to hear from somebody who perhaps has metered there system back to back on these two different meters to know for sure how much of a difference there is in db levels between these two. Reason i would like to know, is i would like to know just how my old system back in 2000 measures up to what i had earlier this year. My old system was only metered on audio control, and my newest system was only metered on termlab or spl lab meter. And i have heard so many different "opinions" on how much difference there is. Somebody who has metered their systems on both meters with the same setup please weigh in.

2000 zx2: Rebuild with 8 12s on a 10k underway!!

MY BUILD LOG

I know (being a old school guy) that I would trust the Audio Control meter over the TermLab ...

Of course we all know that the B&K SPL meter is the "best there is" ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

the audio control will be anywhere from 0db to 20+db louder because it is a traditional style mic with a diaphragm like used for singing and its input sensitivity can be adjusted by the user to make it louder or quieter with a simple bump of a knob..

The audio control meter is not reliable due to this, and is why not a single sanctioned audio competition uses said mics anymore.

the audio control will be anywhere from 0db to 20+db louder because it is a traditional style mic with a diaphragm like used for singing and its input sensitivity can be adjusted by the user to make it louder or quieter with a simple bump of a knob..

The main reason people use the Audio Control is the RTA ... and still used today by all orgs. for this reason.

Back then, SPL was not as popular as it is today.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

I know (being a old school guy) that I would trust the Audio Control meter over the TermLab ...

Of course we all know that the B&K SPL meter is the "best there is" ...

I wouldn't, but then again im not an "sq" guy either, so I guess I wouldn't trust the mic that makes my system to appear louder then it really is.

B&K has its flaws as well, its old school technology, and no way near consistent from 1 persons meter to another persons meter, let alone from 1 users run to another users run on the same meter like the audio control.

Not to mention that the old B&K meters read something like 10db or louder compared to todays standards of a term lab. A friend of mine still has one, but I think its missing something to make it complete.

Also the only thing the Audio Control meters are good for is the RTA feature at semi lower volumes, but termlab can do the same thing if you use a decent traditional style mic with it as well.

B&K has its flaws as well, its old school technology, and no way near consistent from 1 persons meter to another persons meter, let alone from 1 users run to another users run on the same meter like the audio control.

Not to mention that the old B&K meters read something like 10db or louder compared to todays standards of a term lab.

Hmmm ... So I wonder why it is the ONLY meter used when competing for "LEGAL" world records in all orgs ???

I wouldn't, but then again im not an "sq" guy either, so I guess I wouldn't trust the mic that makes my system to appear louder then it really is.

I've been SPL tested on Both (on the dash, in the kicks, and going for MECA style this year) and so far, they read really close and consistant on my truck ... Not sure what you mean by +/- 20 db ??? Sounds like a calabration fault to me if that happens ...

Also the only thing the Audio Control meters are good for is the RTA feature at semi lower volumes, but termlab can do the same thing if you use a decent traditional style mic with it as well.

I've yet to use the TermLab RTA ...

I'm considering buying a complete TermLab setup with SPL and RTA ...

It may not read with the termlab if you want a realistic reading. However I don't see why you couldn't use it for tuning. Any gains/losses could be measured. Final number won't be accurate but still... Keeping track of what can get you louder is always a plus

Not to mention that the old B&K meters read something like 10db or louder compared to todays standards of a term lab.

Hmmm ... So I wonder why it is the ONLY meter used when competing for "LEGAL" world records in all orgs ???

Do you even know what your talking about?

The termlab is the only meter used in dbdra, meca, usaci, idbl, iasca, emma because it is a consistant reading from 1 persons car to another persons car, and from one judges meter to another judge half way around the world. The audiocontrol meter cant do that! period

I've been SPL tested on Both (on the dash, in the kicks, and going for MECA style this year) and so far, they read really close and consistant on my truck ... Not sure what you mean by +/- 20 db ??? Sounds like a calabration fault to me if that happens ...
What are you even talking about spl tested on the dash and the kick.... Right there thats a rather large gain in that style truck in most cases, and you cant compare a kick score to a dash score, let alone if scores are done on 2 different types of meters.

Calibration fault?

Did you ever operate a Audio Control meter?

It could have just been calibrated at the show, and one bump of the knob that says SENSITIVITY throws it out of wack.

Not to mention that during a competition using an audio control meter that sensitivity knob can be adjusted on the fly. So theoretically if there was a judge that didnt like you he could instantly turn it down a tad to make your numbers not as loud as they should be, and turn it up a bit louder for the guy your competing against. Its happened before, and from time to time judges dislike certain competitors.

See these knobs that say input sensitivity?

Those potentiometers like on an amplifier gain, where the smallest cunt hair of a turn can drastically change results....

These are issues a termlab does not have, and like I said are fairly consistant from one persons meter to another persons, reliable.

sa3055.jpg

Bottom line the Audio Control meters are not accurate, consistent, or even reliable for spl scores like this thread is about.

If your at a competition and they are using an audiocontrol chances are its probably not a sanctioned even where your scores and points go towards your competitors career, let alone be allowed since there is such a drastic variation in scores compared to a termlab.

I wouldn't say the audiocontrol is as accurate as the termlab, but EVEN IF you wanted to make that argument...it matters absolutely NOTHING. Accuracy is nothing without consistency, and that is the problem right there. I've seen people adjust the sensitivity on ACs by what the judge "thought" was a legitimate number, others here can confirm that. People are always willing to save money but when you are talking numbers you want consistency. Otherwise who gives a flying shit what score I make if there's no base. When I say I've done 56 legal on the dash on a termlab you know you have an idea of what I'm talking about.

If done on anything else, it doesn't matter if guy A gained only .8 db on the AC because guy B gained 3 db. Guy C lost .1db

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Archived