Sundown Audio

Amp tuned ok?

funnyent

I have a DD audio 12" sub running off of a 500 watt amp, and a Pioneer head unit. I took it back to the shop that installed it and asked them to turn up the bass more (it wasn't as loud as I thought it could be) and they didn't touch the gain on the amp (it's turned up just below half) but rather maxed out the bass boost.

Would it be better for me to turn off the bass boost and turn the gain up more? I don't want to blow the sub and it seems like 18+ db of bass boost isn't going to be good for it from what I've read on here.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm new to the car audio world.

Truly your best option is to buy a bigger amp. Bass boost and gains do not make up for lack of power.

What's the box look like?

Ported?

Sealed?

Tuning freq?

Box volume after displacement?

Prefab or custom box?

Port area?

A better box could be the answer that's why i'm asking all this.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

Then it sounds like you may have to upgrade both if its not hittin' like you want. Turning up the bass knob is gonna create clipping and distortion. So instead burning up your sub, you may have to jump on some the sales this weekend. I think we've all been there where we thought we should have more bass from an install and it wasn't quite what we expected.

What's the box look like?

Ported?

Sealed?

Tuning freq?

Box volume after displacement?

Prefab or custom box?

Port area?

A better box could be the answer that's why i'm asking all this.

Here's the link - http://www.ddaudio.com/products/mobile-audio/enclosures/le-m-series

It's the LEM-12 box and sub. I understand it's not great, as I was on a budget, but the sub sounded much louder in the showroom than it did once they put it in my car.

I may just save up some more and buy better equipment in the next few months.

Don't go back to that shop Maxing the bass boost was foolish of them. Don't go back there, that means the gain was not set properly either. If you want more bass, seek a sub with bigger than a 2" coil and more power handling. You are only going to get so much from a 250W sub.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

DD is good stuff, but it sounds like you want something bigger

Is the box in a trunk?

The sub box is in the trunk, and it can hit hard I'm just not sure for how lone the sub will handle it. If I either put "loudness" on my Pioneer deck up some or turn the gain up more. It doesn't sound like it's distorting to me, but I don't want to burn through my sub.

Is distortion or clipping very noticeable?

The amp is arc audio and here are the specifications from it...

Mono Block Class D Amplifier

200 x 1 @ 4 Ohms

350 x 1 @ 2 Ohms

500 x 1 @ 1 Ohms

+18dB Variable Bass Boost @50Hz

15-40Hz Variable Subsonic Filter Control

Double Sided PCB Board

Selectable Full/Low Pass

Frequency Response: 15Hz - 150kHz

THD: 0.03%

S/N Ratio: >70 dB

Damping Factor: 300