My small build , "New Focal component set" Pg 89

Well that's not going to work. I did some test fitting and measuring and no the RE's will not fit under the stock door panels. I would have to cut. They are just too deep. They measure 3 3/4 " from the back of the mag to the front of the mount. That is farther than the stock panel. The CT sounds are just a little under 3" deep (which is pretty deep for a 5.25) so I will need to find a 6.5 speaker that is 3 1/4 or less for it to fit. I am just not sure I can find a 5.25 speaker that will put out enough mid bass but If I could then it would fit no problem. Fuck.

I would like to hear in person the RF T252-S but don't have access to that. I would like to hear what the JBL GTO 509-C sounds like. I could also fit some 6.5 component sets in there with a little back cutting of the panel but you wouldn't be able to tell from the front.  Dang too many choices and cant hear any of them without buying and trying.

So first things first is install the closed cell foam tomorrow and get the door panels back on. If I still don't like it then I will bite the bullet and get the RF T252-S. At least that way I will have the RF amp and the speakers.

80prs

Arc Audio Xdi 1200.6 (using active crossovers) Freaking awesome amplifier

Incriminator IA 10.1

Focal PS 130v 5.25 (doors)

4" Faital pro Neo (kick panels) 

3" Faital pro Neo and focal tweets( dash)

DC Audio level 3 12"  custom box designed by joex built by me

AGM front, XS 750SE batteries rear

DC 180 alt

99 Toyota Tacoma extra cab

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179476-my-small-build-turned-into-the-ongoing-build/

422_zpsh0mvuzbp.jpg

Hey oldsoundguy....couple questions for ya. There's a pic of my s10, hope ya don't mind if I put it up here. Anyway, do subs sound better when the sub/port face up exactly how you have yours in the ext cab? Also I noticed the bass sounds deeper when the window is down or when the door is open. Is this normal for ext cabs? As you know, or may not know, I'll be running the same sub as yours.

Yes in my experience the sub up port up and the port set close to the middle sounds best to me. Only way to really find out is try the box set in multiple positions. I have to have mine right behind me so one of my kids can ride in the pass side jump seat. I never really tired this box over on that side. It may sound better over there IDK.

As far as window down from what I have read is that our cab is acting as part of the box so rolling the window down changes tuning. I don't think it makes a huge difference with the 8 as much as it did when I was running two 12s.

80prs

Incriminator IA 10.1

DC 180 alt

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179476-my-small-build-turned-into-the-ongoing-build/

Bummer the RE's wont work. I liked the idea of them in the doors and some 5.25's in the kicks. I would really look at the JBLs  or other brands. The T2 tweeters can be harsh and take some tuning. I am sure what every you do it will be better than just using the 5.25 in the doors.

Malibu light replacement day! Cars in the garage thawing after 14" of snow the last few days. Go back to work Tuesday now. 

Will the REs fit in the kick? I feel the same way as far as having to buy stuff just to try it out. We should join the speaker of the month club. lol

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Hell ya speaker club of the month. That would be cool. I am not sure if they would fit in the kick. The speakers have a 3 3/4" mounting depth witch is pretty damn big.

If anyone wants to try them out I will make a killer deal on them. I never used the tweeters so they are like new. I did poke the surround of one of them but fixed it with a good sealer. Doesn't effect the way it sounds. I also stripped out one of the speaker wire screws but replaced it with another that doesn't match. Anyway they still slam.

Well I did some work on the truck today. I went out and put two layers of the 1/8" closed cell foam on the inside of the door. I tried to put a layer between the door panel and door but with the thick layer of sound deadening the door panel wouldn't go back on. So I have the door 100% sealed with sound deadener and the door panel back on. I can tell you YES!!! THERE IS A PRETTY BIG DIFFERENCE IN SOUND QUALITY AND MID BASS!!! I can say that if you haven't done this to your doors yet you are missing out on a better sound from your speakers. The CTs 5.25 set sounds good now. I am pleased with them at this point. The only pic I took was of the CLF on the door that I ended up taking off.  I will leave my system alone for a little while and not buy anything else at this point. Unless I find a set of either JBL GTO509-c or RF T252-S on sale. That would be an easy swap.

So they don't have the mid bass of the RE's but they do sound better. I can only imagine what the RE's would sound like in a properly treated door like it is now. I just don't want to cut

80prs

Incriminator IA 10.1

DC 180 alt

Right on man! You just once again confirmed that proper deadening and acoustic foam can make so so speakers sound good. It is the biggest part of a install IMO. You really can't over do it. 

Putting everything back together and tuning for awhile is a good idea. And when your ready send me your door panel to fab up for a killer 3-way up front. LOL

Finished headlights on the Malibu, ordered marker lights instead of blinker bulbs by mistake so i am sure one of those bulbs will burn out next. Fuck it!

Well my door panels were deadened well but after reading and listing to your advice the CCF is the key for inside door panels. My Toyota doors are made of tin LOL but now they are most likely better than a Mercedes. Cant wait for the drive to work tomorrow to listen. I also did turn the tweeter attenuation down from +3 to -3 just because I think they are just too bright being up in the door pillars.

80prs

Incriminator IA 10.1

DC 180 alt

I agree man! The acoustic foam is the key. The Lancer is solid as fuck in the doors, roof, trunk & floor. Malibu doors as supper solid. Imagine Second Skins high dollar shit through out  a ride, that would killer.

I hope you enjoy the ride to work listening to the system. Keep up posted of your findings. 

Do you have pics of what you did to the door?

Im always looking to tame some rattles. They drive me nuts!

I had a sound like a loose spray paint can in the winter beater, couldn't find it for the life of me.

with the nice weather I pulled all rear plastic off and found I broke 2 / 3 third brake light bulbs and they were just rolling around in the lense

lol basshead problems! 

Archived