Second Skin Audio

So the guy at the local audio shop told me...

bumpinTL364

Now that we've established 2 10's = louder than 1 12....

Two 10s ported will be LOUDER than your two 10s sealed.

Two 10s sealed will sound BETTER than your two 10s ported.

Ported boxes are designed to excel in only certain frequencie ranges.... hence the port.

A sealed box wont get as loud, but it will hit all of the ranges "equally".

Current: Two SA-6.5s and two tweets in each door powered by an LA-4200, 240amp Mechman Alt, Two Memphis PR12s powered by an SAZ-1500.Waiting on my box to hook up my two SA-12s <3

Well I've seen that people have been able to relocate their shit and just throw a head unit in. I have a hifonics 1200.1 that I'd rather keep for myself (RE 3200.1 is on sale for $170, same price as the hifonics which is also on sale) because it only has three mounting tabs thanks to USPS…I'm not worried about those SAs handling 1000watts together, mostly just price at this point, might have to downgrade to something more like 400watt woofers and 1000watt amp if that saves me enough money. Other thing is I'm not sure if I can power the stock speakers/amp off of a different HU (all this talk of fiberoptic cables has my head spinning) and I don't want the system to just be all bass to the point where the subs drown out the mids and highs. I could just upgrade the speakers and leave the amp, but I doubt that'll help much, and speaker/crossover sets aren't cheap!

masterbation is free, and even saves you money.sorry but someone had to say it

sorry, Jimmy...beat you to it (no pun intended)

LOLDON'T get a wife. Best advice I never got, and now it's too late <_<

My build: 12" DCON in a dorm room.

New/current build: 8" woofer, custom amplifier block, fiberglassed speaker pods

You need to save a little more bread because with $800 and no equipment you'll be hard pressed to find a legit shop that is going to sell and install a chest banging system for that budget. My suggestion would be take it slow and buy quality equipment you can reuse in multiple vehicles because if you don't you'll be pissing money in the wind.

Now that we've established 2 10's = louder than 1 12....

Two 10s ported will be LOUDER than your two 10s sealed.

Two 10s sealed will sound BETTER than your two 10s ported.

Ported boxes are designed to excel in only certain frequencie ranges.... hence the port.

A sealed box wont get as loud, but it will hit all of the ranges "equally".

i am a dick after reading two of these posts please tell me why

these make no sense, when we probably have just as good cone control, and motor force on larger woofers than those 10's

wonder why idiots are using PORTED ENLOCSURES on a SQ vehicle hmm maybe subs are not meant for say mids and highs

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

So you have a sub amp? so getthe 2 10, build a box and get the right size wires and fuses. Don't forget RCAS. Then if and whatever you have left by a set of speakers for the front. Save some money and get a hu and the needed write harness to make everything work. Save more money buy 4 channel save more money and start sound deadening.

Then save money and upgrade or do what you want with it.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

Yeah sealed isn't bettersounding over ported and ported isn't better sounding the sealed. It all depends on the setups being compared and the person listening in a lot of sq setups I've seen ported sub with a flat response, true mid bass speakers (60-200hz roughly), mids and tweets with one hell of a sound processor. And almost always active.

That being said let's stop comparing sealed and ported because it's a personal preference and install dependent on what sound better

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

You need to save a little more bread because with $800 and no equipment you'll be hard pressed to find a legit shop that is going to sell and install a chest banging system for that budget. My suggestion would be take it slow and buy quality equipment you can reuse in multiple vehicles because if you don't you'll be pissing money in the wind.

Who's here to have their equipment installed by a shop? I'm doing all the work myself broski.

Okay I just found out I have about 70watts to each door to work with so I think I should be okay just upgrading the stock speakers. As far as this system being chest-banging, all I really want is quality, controlled bass that can still flap on those longer 808 tones. Most music is rap/r&b/pop but the owner does also listen to some rock. As far as money goes, it looks like I can do the whole sub stage the way I want around $500, which leaves me (I think) a good enough amount for a decent DD HU, 2 sets of components, amp wiring kit, some deadener, MDF and everything else in the hardware/misc. department.

I hate when people say general stuff like that. It has way too many things to tell. I think the biggest variable there is power and the box the subs are in. We all know that one sub in the right box will usually sound better than two subs in a ok or bad box. Also what do you mean by sound better? I ran single subs for years and knew adding another sub or power would be lounder, but that didnt mean it would sound better.

I guess it's pretty hard to accurately describe what I'm looking for. I know a trunk car on this low power usually isn't going to pound your chest, but I want kick drum sounds to really have a good punch to them while also having a box that performs well with rap/decaffeinated (see what I did there?) music. Okay and I've made a decision on subs: I'll be going with the RE SEX10D4 woofers, they look sweet and just went on sale for $120 a piece. My plan is to use either my hifonics 1200.1 or get an RE 3200.1 (both say they do 1200watts rms @ 1ohm). Now all I need is a box.

Archived