Second Skin Audio

Coil for SMD. Where to buy???

doug118

Production subs never had a split coil like the old prototype pics. . .

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

I believe (could be wrong) that JBL holds the patent on a split coil with 2 independant magnet gaps, they call it differential drive. It is the coil/motor setup they use in the GTi woofers.

<>< Collosians 2:13-14, Philippians 4:13, 1 John 4:7-10

2 - JBL W15Gti

2 - JBL BP1200.1

Knu 1/0 Wiring

Kenwood KIV-BT901

Kenwood/Garmin Nav.

So a coil with a long former is patented? There's absolutely no way to get a patent on that

If they have a patent, it would be for a long coil in a dual motor setup using the upper motor as excursion control, something along those lines..

<>< Collosians 2:13-14, Philippians 4:13, 1 John 4:7-10

2 - JBL W15Gti

2 - JBL BP1200.1

Knu 1/0 Wiring

Kenwood KIV-BT901

Kenwood/Garmin Nav.

Holy shit. I give up. The only person who might be able to help you just posted.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

iirc those are the prototype coils...

the left one is from the supergauss crossfire woofer with a 3inch coil and a 12spoke basket (a mini smd for the most part).

the right coil is from the prototype smd woofers, long before they where being used with spaced spiders to help aid linearity.

Im pretty sure these coils are used in meades proto subs in his tahoe, but as stated before production models are different and a single coil, have one in my room as well. The lose of the 2nd coil on top potentially creates more coil rock/rub since that upper coil is not used and kept semi linear due to the magnet field, hence why they came with spaced spiders now.

As for the coil, no other woofer is using a 4 inch diameter with a 9inch former, so the only place you will get them from is Ascendant Audio, but he wont sell you just the parts or even a coil (tried that multiple times already talking with shawn, scott, and nick), I came to the conclusion the woofers are just a $900 paper weight once they are blown, and you may get one hell of a salty taste in your mouth if its your buddy that blows your sub on you when he was borrowing it.

Im sure you can goto econowind and have coils made up, but get ready to pay up for just 1 coil, or have 100s of coils laying around just so you can get them at a fair price (if thats the case let me know). LOL

PSI can add former length to coils, he wants 10$ a inch, not sure how good or strong these will be since its glued/pieced together and not one long former. Already checked into it, but just sounded iffey to me.

Take that back, still looks to be a split former so I guess it holds up fine, never looked inside at the metal before, and the total length is about 9 1/16.

As for coil windings, no different then the sp4s and other 4inch coiled drivers from Fi, Crossfire, Ssa im sure, just an extended former.

Basing that info off all their 3inch coiled woofers that use the same coil, to reduce costs of stocking multiple different parts.

So maybe PSI could make you the coil..

As for the split coils, they are not used, the coils used are like the other one pictured in this thread.

I found a few people with coils for the SMD. One has a company who will do a 50pc order so he's trying to get some people together who need them or want to buy some just in case. Another already has just the coils. PM me if you need some and I can put you in touch with him

I came to the conclusion the woofers are just a $900 paper weight once they are blown

I can get recone kits from AA, just not a coil by itself.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Archived