Sonic Electronix

Blown SUB~Rite of Passage

Hey guys. This is my first post. Excuse the name. My friend Mike used to say DeezNutz back in the day.

Where to begin?

I called this post RIte of Passage due to my story. Please read,laugh, and comment.

Ok, simple story.

My girlfriend's son just turned 19. He has a 2000 Ram Full size reg cab truck. I sat in it months ago and he had 2 12" Kickers, a Dual amp, and Scosche wiring. All courtesy of Walmart. "Poor kid with this shitting cheap equipment" I thought. His 12's were in a .2cf box. All midbass. No air pressure like I was used to. I began to reminisce with his mother about our high school days. We both remembered the old Rockford Fosgate vs Orion days. lol. Than it occurred to me. I still have some of my old OLD SCHOOL ROCKFORD FOSGATE RFD/RFR/PWR speakers just sitting at home. Oh, I will be 41 this coming Feb. :)

So after careful thinking I decided to donate (for his birthday):

-2 Rockford Fosgate RFD-1212 12" Hx2's subs

-2 PWR-64 mids, with RFR142 crossovers and the accompanying RF Titanium tweeters.

That's how it all started. I logged onto Ebay and busily started collecting stuff.

-*4 channel Monster Cable XLN cables

-*GoldQuest True 4 gauge Copper wire NO CCA.

-*RF 4g fuse holder

-*HItron 4g to 8g Distribution block

-*Stinger 8g, and 14g wiring true copper wire, NO CCA.

-*MTX 4122 amp (bought it for the price)

-*2 MTX 4250D amps (bought them for the price)

I truly enjoyed finding all these things for his first big system. I think the total out of pocket was $250 for the *items.

I made a prototype 2cf box for 1 Hx2 tuned to 35Hz. I never had a ported box, I always had sealed enclosures, so I was just as curious. The Hx2 in the proto box was pushed by 1 MTX 4250D. WOW! She slammed. Alittle louder than the 2 12 Kickers he had in that tiny box. Tesing the box in my BMW car demonstrated nice air pressure when you stick your head in my car. Just like I remembered yrs ago with my 4 Hx2's. I was impressed.

Now I had 4 of these 12" Hx2's in my Chevy S-10 via a blowthrough design. Had that set up for 4 yrs before removing it. Never blew a sub.

I was excited to show my girlfriend's son his birthday present I give him the prototype box and amp the day before his birthday so he could test it out. He had a huge grin and was surprised that one sub could sound like 2! I was happy he was happy. "Ah I remember my first system" I reminisced again with him.

Do you want to know how long this sub and amp lasted????????????????????????????

ANSWER: less than 2 Fuckin' wks. LMAO.

Yeah, the sub and amp are blown. I am alittle pissed. I did tell him "Son it's ok. it's a Rite of Passage. I blew my first sub at age 23, a MTX Road Thunder Pro in a HUGE bandpass, pushed by a MTX 240!". (Anyone remember those??)

Unfortunately upon inspection of the equipment, I found the rubber surround for the woofer was removed, the sub was inverted, the bridged wires (to make 2 ohms)to the sub were removed leaving only one pair of connections, and all the gains were maxed out, the gain, the EQ, and the frequency knobs.

When I questioned him, he said "It must have happened when I vacuumed the truck, must have hit the knobs with my arm".

Yeah I'm pissed he lied to me.

So, how should I handle this??

I still have to install the above mentioned items. I still have 3 more RFD-1212 Hx2 subs on hand. I would have to change the sub amp to a 1 Ohm or a 4 Ohm. I am leaning towards a MTX 2300 or the newer MTX 942 since they pump out 800+ @ 4ohms and fairly inexpensive if you can find one. My second choice is a Memphis 16ST-1000D. I had the 1500D in the past. Awesome amps.

After reading my story, what do you think I should do? I'm curious at what you guys have to say. He is young and we have all made mistakes. But lying to me is what is stopping me in my tracks.

Thanks for reading this post.

-Frank

welcome to the forum.

Build's consist of:

2004 Chevy Impala :

Pioneer--------------------- DEH-X8600bs Soundqubed/AQ------ Q4-120

Rockford Fosgate---- Punch-500.4

Soundqubed/AQ----- Q1-3500D.1 Alpine----------------- 6.5's & 6x9's

Subs: TBA All Knukonceptz and SHCA wire and rca's

Home Music Setup

(4) Soundqubed HDS200 15's in two separate 15.5 cubic foot enclosures tuned to 31 hrz --- XM radio hardwire

Updates coming all the time on both builds

n8ball2013

"bullshit. Everything fits. If you cut enough."

I'd give him like a loan...

Fix It all. Put a sticker over the gains so he can't touch. Basically set him up proper again. Tell him he has 2 options... Learn everything about car audio so he knows what to do and then he can mess with stuff. Or don't touch anything after I fix it.

Either way, here is a working system back. Now you gotta pay me back this much money to cover the costs of your mistake.

I'd teach him but still make him pay the price of his mistake.

My old YouTube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/SwordLords1234?feature=mhee

My old build log : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/161872-96-accord-b2-sundown-sky-high-dc-power-re-re-build-for-heatwave/page-37

My New Build - http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/207041-2016-mazda-6-sql-build/

2016 Mazda 6 Touring

JL Fix 86 - OEM signal correction

B2 prototype DSP 6to8

B2 Ref63 - 3 way active set

2 B2 Class H quattro's

1 B2 Zero.5R @.5

2 B2 HNv3 12 d2

B2 SLIP40 - Lithium in the trunk

Northstar Group 35 under the hood

100ft 2/0 welding cable

30ft 4ga welding cable

20ft 8ga welding cable

All stinger OFC speaker wire

Soundrive custom RCA's

Tons of attention to detail.... Can it be perfect?

haha, i remember my first system 2jl w310s 500w jenson amp gain all the way thought it was the volume for the amp! but if I'm handling it i would teach him what a gain And bass boost actually do. i also wouldn't buy him anything until he admits the truth! after he mans up and says yea,I'm sorry i turned the gain all the way up because i was trying to show off and have no idea what I'm doing. i wont do it again and I'm so sorry i lied!.how can i regain your trust? if he doesn't admit to his lie i wouldn't buy him shit! trust Is everything to me, and if he's gonna lie i wouldn't buy!

jvc deck

stinger 1800 front

hc 2000 kinetic rear

2 runs of 1/0g

big 3/4

ct 60.4

2 ct 1400.1

ct EXO 15 d1

lots of deadner

type r comps front stage

6 kicker tweets rear stage

lots of great stuff

coming soon

ho alt

more bats

ct comps for front stage

more deadner

sweet amp rack

lots of L.E.D lights

new deck (thinking 80 prs, or flip out)

Have never blown subs or a amp yet ^_^ all tho i was stupid with my first system I bought. I had to replace the old jl subs my dad have me because the soround dry rotted so I picked up 2 jl 10w1v2 10's and used my gain as a volum knob until I relised it sounded like shit then I backed it way down to where it sounded good. What probly saved me was I did no t have my amp bridged (yes it was a 2 channel)

So to me I don't think blowing stuff is a right of passage he just did not know and did not care because you bought it for him. But still nice systems you have h

2012 Chevy sonic1xSQ HDC3 12 D2RF R1200d

140 square foot of Q-Mat(soon to be installed)

140.2Db sealed on the dash with TL

142 DB sealed on the dash with another meter (was dead on with the TL at a show i was at)

141 on music.

strangeduck,on 02 Jan 2014 - 01:39 AM, said:

when my car spins out i just put the car in neutral, turn in the direction i want to go and pucker my asshole

Also can we get pics of how you found the system or at least the sub before and after please

2012 Chevy sonic1xSQ HDC3 12 D2RF R1200d

140 square foot of Q-Mat(soon to be installed)

140.2Db sealed on the dash with TL

142 DB sealed on the dash with another meter (was dead on with the TL at a show i was at)

141 on music.

strangeduck,on 02 Jan 2014 - 01:39 AM, said:

when my car spins out i just put the car in neutral, turn in the direction i want to go and pucker my asshole

if I'm handling it i would teach him what a gain And bass boost actually do. i also wouldn't buy him anything until he admits the truth! after he mans up and says yea,I'm sorry i turned the gain all the way up because i was trying to show off and have no idea what I'm doing. i wont do it again and I'm so sorry i lied!.how can i regain your trust? if he doesn't admit to his lie i wouldn't buy him shit! trust Is everything to me, and if he's gonna lie i wouldn't buy![/quote

I second this

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

Teach him how to take everything out carefully. He'll stay without sound for some times.
Then you teach him how to re install everything and how to tune it,...if you want !

But he must tell you what exactly happenned, why he did this !!!

Good luck ;);)

black BMW X1 2.0 l 192 hp

OEM head unit, Amplifiers Audison AP 8.9 amp with integrated DSP and Ampere Audio 1200.

Focal ES 100 K in front doors, and Dayton RS 180 for midbass under the front seats.

2 SSA DEMONS 10" subs, in a 2.6 ft3  ported box. SecondSkin Damplifier on front doors, and Luxury Liner Pro for the cargo area.

Archived