Second Skin Audio

Best Cheap 12" Subwoofer

Hello Everybody,

Right now I have a Kenwood KAC 7205 amplifier. I have a cheap sony 12 GTR-120L that is only rated for 380RMS. My amplifier is rated for 500RMS bridged at 4ohms. It is not 2 ohm stable when bridged. My question is can anyone recommend a cheap ($150ish, hopefully less) subwoofer that can handle 500RMS. I am looking for either a 4ohm single coil or a sub with twin 2 ohm coils so that I can run it at 4 ohms or run two 250RMS 2 ohm channels. Thanks for your help guys.

You should be able to fine a sundown audio sa-12 for 150. Or even their lower level subs many people say are good.

After that, alpine type r's are nice. Maybe an american bass xfl.

500w isnt much power theres alot of subs that will do nicely. I you build a decent box for w.e sub you choose itll sound good.

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC

Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of -

DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s

Yea thats right. Those hds do look verrry nice imo. Theres little to no info about them yet, but come from a reputable company, have a very nice price point and look solid to boot. I second the HDS route.

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC

Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of -

DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s

Soundqubed hds

2012 Chevy sonic1xSQ HDC3 12 D2RF R1200d

140 square foot of Q-Mat(soon to be installed)

140.2Db sealed on the dash with TL

142 DB sealed on the dash with another meter (was dead on with the TL at a show i was at)

141 on music.

strangeduck,on 02 Jan 2014 - 01:39 AM, said:

when my car spins out i just put the car in neutral, turn in the direction i want to go and pucker my asshole

I ran 3 e8s (for $90 each) and was really surprised. They were really awesome, and hit pretty hard. Then I upgraded to 2 SA 12s and they are also top notch.

You could get the E series and stay under budget ($110), or you could spend $195 more than your budget and get a sub that will definitely surprise you lol. I am guessing that either sub would be adequate. As mentioned above you could probably get a used SA-12 for $150 or less... but used subs are kind of a gamble unless you know the seller and/or how the sub was treated.

I traded my 3 e-8s for 2 sa-12s to a guy from Craig's List but the subs were literally brand new. Shiny coils, stiff suspension etc.. they had been mounted and played but not even broke in yet. The guy thought they sounded bad and was too stupid to realize that it was his 5 cube box ported at around 45hz with way too much port area that made them sound like poo lol. /storytimeover but go with Sundown lol.

http://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com/brands/Sundown-Audio.html

2006 Scion xB

2 Sundown SA12D2

Ported at 32hz

147 on non termlab (140-142 on TL)

Currently in a walled 4th @ 50hz (not metered yet)

Hifonics brz2100

Alpine Type-S Components

Kicker 300.2

Big 3 / Skyhigh 1/0 cca

Optima Blue Top

3 e8s ported at 32hz

135.1 sealed on dash @ 56hz

135.0 outlaw (I must have chosen song poorly lol)

Build log

'Brandon15zzz', on 09 May 2012 - 3:13 PM, said:snapback.png

May have been clipping but none fucks were givin.

Archived