Second Skin Audio

building a 5k 12-15 from the ground up

MACnonsence6

k guys this is prolly gonna be a long and gruiling process prolly not gonna get things right on the first try but here it goes. i just bought a top plate and t-yoke from an re destroyer. im planning to do a stupid high bl neo build with it. im awaiting parts so i can measure and plot things out with femm and see whats going to work best. im planning to have the top plate opened up to accept a 8layer or larger coil.

my goals for this is to be able to thermally handle 5k on the daily as well as play music well. not making a burp sub. so i figured doing a neo build would be the best way to go cooling wise because of how open everything is. planning to use block style neo been looking at these inparticular

http://www.magnet4less.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_5&products_id=73

there slighly taller then the ferrite on my destroyer motors. so that should put the center pole about even maybe a little under the top plate.

i may go with others depending on what models best with femm but im thinking something on the lines of an inner 5 star parrern as well as an outer again depending on femm. these motors dont having cooling holes in the bottom plate aside from the center pole so im thinking of adding those as well as adding heat sinks to both the inner and outer 5 star pattern or neo bars. my theory is that the movement of the cone will move air past the heatsinks cooiling the neo pillers. thus having less radiant heat around the coil area. also planning to use a ported former.

planning to use a ti basket in either a 12" or 15" not sure yet.

any advice or ideas or suggestions to help me achieve this goal is what im after.

I picked up an MTX Sw1212 powered subwoofer today. This thing sounds amazing. 130 watts, 12" woofer with a passive 12" woofer tuned to 27 hz. Moving the pictures on the walls and my girl got wet from the bass when i showed her haha. Tonight should be good haha.

Let me use an analogy for cooling

When you have hot soup, sit down and wait for it to cool, or do you blow air over it to speed the process? Your coil is no different. Open air may look good, but it doesn't provide much in the way of cooling. And when building a driver to handle 5k daily, on music, cooling is very important.

i think ill be able to do it for well under that im thinking 500 max.

most epensive part is gonna be the neos at around 130-150 and the coil. then if something fails and i have to redesign thats why im trying to work on a motor that is able to keep its self cool. and disapate heat away from the coil

as far as coil im not sure yet. pap said he has 4" coils that are good thermally for 4k and thats why i posted asking about getting a dc level 6 coil.

thats why im thinking about using heat sinks on the neos to take heat away from the coil. i feel as though that would work well because as the cone of the woofer moves it moves air over the heat sink thus drawing heat from the neos wich should lower the radiant heat around the coil. the openness of the motor its self should be much much less restrictive to keeping heat around the coil as aposed to a normal ferite motor

I picked up an MTX Sw1212 powered subwoofer today. This thing sounds amazing. 130 watts, 12" woofer with a passive 12" woofer tuned to 27 hz. Moving the pictures on the walls and my girl got wet from the bass when i showed her haha. Tonight should be good haha.

didnt he also get his top and bottom plates machined? to my understanding his is legit from the ground up i plan to be modding a re destroyer t-yoke and top plate

Archived