Sundown Audio

Stetsom Amps

jmsonoma03

Im not arguing either point as I dont care but keep it nice fellas or take it elsewhere.

Some people need a sympathetic pat... on the head...with my hammer

Scientia est Vox

"In Nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti"clover.gif

DONT BE AFRAID TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!

SMD SUPER BUYER/SELLER

Roscoe.jpg

I'd love to test these out myself but there's no way I'm spending the money just for a test. Since the Team Bassick guys already have the amplifiers why don't you throw a clamp meter & dmm on them and share the results. Maybe if Dante makes it to our next local comp he'll let me try out a 2k6.

teamnemesissundown-1.jpg

Now tell me what's wrong with this picture. Also, I would like to know how they plan on getting 7000+ out of an amp that only has 350 amps of internal fusing and one set of input terminals....

Naw your right he is a sundown guy DOWN talking stetsom

Last time I checked Tommy didn't own any of my products -- unless he bought a used one somewhere I'm pretty sure he still doesn't, so I fail to see how he is a "Sundown guy." He also posted IA 20.1 pictures -- why isn't he an "IA guy" as well?

And what gives you the idea that Sundown uses "burnt Atomic boards?" Good job putting out completely false information.

----------

As for the rest of the thread... I don't see where the debate is. Lets break it down:

1) The 2k6d is a powerful amp and puts out over 3kw, we can agree on this

2) The 2k6d is less efficient than a pair of 1500Ds, this has been demonstrated

3) The 2k6d has less than 1/4 of the heatsink mass of two 1500Ds

-----

Therefore, the less efficient amp with substantially less cooling capability will be running it's devices hotter and pushing more current through each one.

-----

We all know that heat is the enemy of semiconductor devices... so what conclusion can one draw? That the amp with parts running at a much higher temperature and much closer to the sheer package size limitations of current is much less likely to have a long life span.

Is there any debate about the above points? It doesn't mean that every amp is going to fail but it does mean that the likelihood is increased. For this same reason I recently tooled up a new heatsink with even more thermal mass and surface area for my lines to further reduce operating temperature for even longer life.

There is no debate that the Stetsom Vulcan line can put out a great deal of power in the SPL lanes -- I don't believe that was questioned. One thing that does bother ME is the way they rate the current draw on their lines. The 2k6d holds most of the records in nSPL since they use their own fusing to fit into the 200-amp class with an amp that draws over 300 amps of current (as any 3kw amp will do, my 3000D calls for a 300-amp fuse as it should). As the test conducted on ROE points out this amp will quickly blow a different brand of 200-amp fuse.

It also bothers me that people believe that using so few devices has no draw-backs... regardless of what part number the devices are a given package has physical limitations regardless of the ratings. No matter what a TO-247 case FET is rated for, that package can only handle so much current and dissipate so much heat from the limited amount of contact area present on the casing. And again, does this necessarily mean they will pop left and right? No -- obviously not all of them fail or we wouldn't be having a debate. It simply means that the devices are strained hard and the probability of failure is higher.

If Stetsom is using the particular devices I suspect they are they did pick the best ones for doing the job with the fewest parts, but it is not without it's drawbacks (eg: reduced efficiency, reduced life span). It's a balancing act and they picked what they wanted the most -- most output for a given size.

----------

All that being said -- if you like your amp, thats great! If it works for you, thats great! Obviously you run what you do for a reason, glad you like it :)

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK

- Please DO NOT PM ME -- use my email address -- [email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg

On a side note....WATTTUP R/R! :D

What up Steve! :lol: Long time eh?!?

"All that being said -- if you like your amp, thats great! If it works for you, thats great! Obviously you run what you do for a reason, glad you like it smile.gif "

times 2

"The amp could be ran at safer levels for daily, but most assuredly not 7000 watts all day, every day. I've seen db drag competitors state that the amp should NOT be ran below 1 ohm for daily use, whereas for competition (to get full power) they can be ran down to .25 or so depending on impedence rise. "

one key thing is impeadance rise, daily and comp use.

On a side note also we can base race a huge score in our trooper. we tried before recones :) Those amps hold up well,system tunning is key here.

Mike and Mark

[email protected]

18741a0.jpg

What up Steve! :lol: Long time eh?!?

"All that being said -- if you like your amp, thats great! If it works for you, thats great! Obviously you run what you do for a reason, glad you like it smile.gif "

times 2

"The amp could be ran at safer levels for daily, but most assuredly not 7000 watts all day, every day. I've seen db drag competitors state that the amp should NOT be ran below 1 ohm for daily use, whereas for competition (to get full power) they can be ran down to .25 or so depending on impedance rise. "

one key thing is impedance rise, daily and comp use.

On a side note also we can base race a huge score in our trooper. we tried before recones :) Those amps hold up well,system tunning is key here.

Hey some valued input!

Thanks guys!

So my question is, and this is for those who have tested ;) If you feed the amp all the power it needed, what would it produce at it's advertised rating? How much amperage draw would I expect to see? How does the amp handle the heat with all that power.

And I'm sorry Alpine, full tilt on 1 battery and a 60amp alt is too big of a fish story for me. I can't see it actually getting everything it's got with what it's being fed.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Official Scores at the Dash. and YES. My Bass Boxing is louder than Burp! - 155.5 DB Drag Burp- 155.6 - IASCA Bass Boxing on music (30 seconds straight) sealed up Builds 1. The Acura Integra build = http://www.stevemead...s/page__st__6802. BLK SIN Build = http://www.stevemead...w-pics-10-6-07/

Why join Bassick when I can just raid their cooler :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Beer ninjas ATTACK!!

Official Scores at the Dash. and YES. My Bass Boxing is louder than Burp! - 155.5 DB Drag Burp- 155.6 - IASCA Bass Boxing on music (30 seconds straight) sealed up Builds 1. The Acura Integra build = http://www.stevemead...s/page__st__6802. BLK SIN Build = http://www.stevemead...w-pics-10-6-07/

Hey some valued input!

Thanks guys!

So my question is, and this is for those who have tested ;) If you feed the amp all the power it needed, what would it produce at it's advertised rating? How much amperage draw would I expect to see? How does the amp handle the heat with all that power.

And I'm sorry Alpine, full tilt on 1 battery and a 60amp alt is too big of a fish story for me. I can't see it actually getting everything it's got with what it's being fed.

If you feed all the power a 7kd needed with copper fuseing hehehe and some added 1/0 in the amp then yes it will produce 7k and some. I havent tested these amps without modds. Right now were around 8900 to 9800 rms depending on the tempature and note played. The wrong note and tempature and the impeadance rise will spike and power output will fall on it`s face. I dont know if many people can get around the same power were getting, but it`s all about knowing your system, details, details ,details......

On one bat and a stock alt on a 16volt version will not do more than 5500rms max, the 7kd puts out more on a stock system than when we had our dd z 2`s on the same test. We havent tested out the 12volt versions yet tho, only the 16volt versions, but i will as soon as my buddy gets one. I know the 12 volt version has a bit more inside than the pic posted on the 7kd version. I believe it has added fets and caps in the 12 volt, mabye some more stuff. I`m shure it will do better then the 16volt counterpart tho.

Just being honest on these amps. Mabye there the best amps ever, mabye there not, but there the best for US.

Mike and Mark

[email protected]

18741a0.jpg

Archived