hey guys my name is Jason. I have been in the car audio scene for about 3-4 years now. have built a handfull of pretty sweet sub encosures for friends and such and my F-150 (which sadly i had to sell) had a really sweet setup in it.

I recently picked up a 2006 Scion xB out of East L.A. and to be blunt, the system that was in it was awful. they had stuffed 2 Kicker L7 15s in a box on the back floor, a random off brand cap under the box, and wires EVERYWHERE! I am still finding fun surprises from this build.

so i needed to remedy the situation and put something sick back into this little box. i decided to go with RF T1 seperates up front, RF Punch coax in the rear, and after a lot of research and measuring, (3) Phoenix Gold SL shallow 10s.

I work full time and go to school so please bear with me. i will try and have updates as often as possible. i hope you enjoy the build and please feel free to comment!

Jason

now with the start of the enclosure build. my goal was to get some serious bass and clarity while retaining the storage area behind the back seat. first step was to build an MDF frame that i can fiber glass to. as most of you know, this starts with cardboard before being transferred to wood. took me a while to get this right as i have never done anything this intricate before.

photo3_zpsf676051f.jpg

photo4_zps79ef1a03.jpg

i then realized even though i was using shallow subs (about 3.5" mounting depth) i didnt have much room to work with to achieve the final goal i was looking for so i had to make some room for the magnets in the frame.

photo5_zpse3f5b651.jpg

this is working on how high the baffle would sit on top of the frame as well as getting a placed lined up for the Stinger power cell i am putting in.

photo31_zps105d54e8.jpg

this will be the final update for this period. got the sub baffle built, holes cut, and the opening for the power cell. once wrapped all that will be seen will be the subs and the top of the Stinger cell. all wiring will be hidden in the front of the box.

photo11_zps7d6b2ac5.jpg

photo21_zpsb7bc8c94.jpg

photo41_zps15bf54b2.jpg

hopefully this weekend will hold some fiberglass and resin time. we are going to turn this wood frame and sound mat into a one-piece enclosure. Please stay tuned for more updates and input is always appreciated!

Archived