Second Skin Audio

Inverted vs regular mounted subs?

dylan117

Actually, it makes a noticable difference atleast to my ears. However i am crossed at 125hz 6db slope. When i invert my sub,everything above 60hz doesnt seem to be as loud and it also sounds more muddy. Then i realized,the higher notes were harder to pass through the center of the cone and motor. Both sides of the woofer will sound differently except on the lower frequencys. If your crossed lower then 60hz i could see why it wouldnt make much difference

Xover at 125 ?! shees..

and

"Then i realized,the higher notes were harder to pass through the center of the cone and motor."

Please .. explain?

Midbass rolls off the cone. When it is obstructed it sounds different. Just like any other woofer crossed high that has something in its path,it will probably sound different untill you dig low enough to use mechanical excursion instead of resonance.

wow.. i learned something new.

I will try that, god knows i want mid bass rolling off my 15'' shitty driver. They are some shitty ones, but, maybe ill try....

Haha,well if i had a good set of 3 way components i wouldnt have to cross that high. But i dont like missing frequencys from my music. Especially after a decade

please explain where you heard this concept from.

Actually its kind of a personal theory. I should have mentioned that. Anyways my co-workers and i stayed late one night at our shop to help me swap my blown nightshade for a nightshade v2. Its cabin firing sealed off from trunk and its a PITA trying to take out a vertically mounted 15 about 10" on a wall away from my rear seats while using fingers and wrist only. Because of the longer coil i figured why not invert it. When i started the car,flipped the phase and started playing music i noticed certain light tapping bass notes were alot harder to hear. At the time i figured it was probably the diffrent woofer parameters. Drove home and called it a day. A few days later i was itchi ng to flip the woofer back the same way. When i did that it it sounded golden once again and i was trippen out. My co-worker walks up with the term lab and we found when inverting my woofer,the lower end was slightly more peaky and lost output up north.

I flipped mine today back to normal mounting. Looks much smaller lol

80prs

Arc Audio Xdi 1200.6 (using active crossovers) Freaking awesome amplifier

Incriminator IA 10.1

Focal PS 130v 5.25 (doors)

4" Faital pro Neo (kick panels) 

3" Faital pro Neo and focal tweets( dash)

DC Audio level 3 12"  custom box designed by joex built by me

AGM front, XS 750SE batteries rear

DC 180 alt

99 Toyota Tacoma extra cab

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179476-my-small-build-turned-into-the-ongoing-build/

He doesn't Have to change anything If they're both inverted. Assuming 2 subs.

Wouldn't ya want all you speakers to be in phase with each other??

They are both inverted,which puts them in phase "with each other" atleast i think thats what hes saying

yes, but hopefully there are other speakers in the car, not sure why you would want subs out of phase with them.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

He doesn't Have to change anything If they're both inverted. Assuming 2 subs.

Wouldn't ya want all you speakers to be in phase with each other??

They are both inverted,which puts them in phase "with each other" atleast i think thats what hes saying

yes, but hopefully there are other speakers in the car, not sure why you would want subs out of phase with them.

Technically you are right, but im not sure if they are talking about just the subs in phase with each other or subs in phase with mids. but i do know the OP heard about swapping wires out of phase and flipping the phase switch on the amp after inverting which would put him uselessly right back at 0/360° phase

Archived