Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Review on Funkin Audio SX 12


ncochran

Recommended Posts

Posted

So.. I am asking for info here, since SMD is not the owner/seller of this product hehe. They are offering 85% off of these things here in the next few days and I am trying to figure out what kind of performance/quality might be expected.

At first glance they look kind of weak with a listed BL of 9.99 (compared to my SA 12s BL of 25), as I ~think~ I understand that to be motor force which a higher number would be better. I also noticed that the QTS is really really high (.817) compared to most subs I have ran in the past being closer to .5 but I really am not smart enough to know exactly what that means for me (I think it indicates whether it would perform better in a sealed/ported/bandpass enclosure, but I know that I don't know lol...)

Anyway, the point of this is not to compare them directly to my Sundown E, or SA subs.. those are just the only subs that I have used since I became smart enough to look at the numbers and attempt to look at potential performance, rather than just buy what looks cool lol (JL Audio anyone lol?)

Anyone have any experience with, or thoughts about this product? I couldn't find any good youtube videos.. all I found was small setups with prefab boxes and not much power. I would be running 4 of them in a wall off 2k for now, probably moving up to an SQ-3500 in a month or so... Anyway, please chime in with whatever opinions you have about the subs. Again.. I am NOT looking to compare them directly against any other company. I am just looking for your experience, thoughts, and knowledge.. Thank you

2006 Scion xB

2 Sundown SA12D2

Ported at 32hz

147 on non termlab (140-142 on TL)

Currently in a walled 4th @ 50hz (not metered yet)

Hifonics brz2100

Alpine Type-S Components

Kicker 300.2

Big 3 / Skyhigh 1/0 cca

Optima Blue Top

3 e8s ported at 32hz

135.1 sealed on dash @ 56hz

135.0 outlaw (I must have chosen song poorly lol)

Build log

'Brandon15zzz', on 09 May 2012 - 3:13 PM, said:snapback.png

May have been clipping but none fucks were givin.

Posted

85% off is very telling.

Lol that, and the fact that I can't find any videos of decent builds running them. I am more interested I guess in what the TS parameters say as far as excursion, motor force, ability to play well at low freq etc...

Was REALLY hoping someone might have some actual experience with them though.

2006 Scion xB

2 Sundown SA12D2

Ported at 32hz

147 on non termlab (140-142 on TL)

Currently in a walled 4th @ 50hz (not metered yet)

Hifonics brz2100

Alpine Type-S Components

Kicker 300.2

Big 3 / Skyhigh 1/0 cca

Optima Blue Top

3 e8s ported at 32hz

135.1 sealed on dash @ 56hz

135.0 outlaw (I must have chosen song poorly lol)

Build log

'Brandon15zzz', on 09 May 2012 - 3:13 PM, said:snapback.png

May have been clipping but none fucks were givin.

Posted

People got loud on those vvme subs on ebay in a wall...not as loud as they would have been on nicer equipment but they only soent 45 on each one vs 100 plus for even the cheapest sundown woofer. I say just do it...sell them in craigslist if they suck..

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.
Posted

Iirc those subs are b stock as well. thier speaker wire pulls apart tearing off half the jacket from the other side leaving a conductor exposed.

So if that tells ya anything theyll be very good.

85 percent off 225. Is like 34 bux plus shipping and you have to buy 2 min. So your looking at 80 bux at least. For the higher model if Iirc.

80 bux is too much to waste imo. Save it to go towards something proven.

Setup:


2010 Hyundai Elantra


Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC


Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt


Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000


Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of -


DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s

Posted

Iirc those subs are b stock as well. thier speaker wire pulls apart tearing off half the jacket from the other side leaving a conductor exposed.

So if that tells ya anything theyll be very good.

85 percent off 225. Is like 34 bux plus shipping and you have to buy 2 min. So your looking at 80 bux at least. For the higher model if Iirc.

80 bux is too much to waste imo. Save it to go towards something proven.

I am pretty sure I agree 100% here. I also forgot that Diyma charges you out the ass for shipping and "handling" lol.. My last sale order.. the equipment totaled like $30... the total was almost $80 lol... $50 to ship 2 small spools of wire lol... (~30' 8ga and ~100ft 12ga iirc)

So yeah.. with the subs being B-stock and sub par to start with, I will probably just buy 2 more sa 12s and call it a day. Thanks for the advice!

2006 Scion xB

2 Sundown SA12D2

Ported at 32hz

147 on non termlab (140-142 on TL)

Currently in a walled 4th @ 50hz (not metered yet)

Hifonics brz2100

Alpine Type-S Components

Kicker 300.2

Big 3 / Skyhigh 1/0 cca

Optima Blue Top

3 e8s ported at 32hz

135.1 sealed on dash @ 56hz

135.0 outlaw (I must have chosen song poorly lol)

Build log

'Brandon15zzz', on 09 May 2012 - 3:13 PM, said:snapback.png

May have been clipping but none fucks were givin.

Posted

Doubt they are any good

Thanks alaskanzx5 I might just do that
I can recone a sub myself. About a year ago I took 2 12" power acoustic mofos and made one sub. I took the magnet and the motor off of one and j b welded it to the other motor and magnet. I had to wind my own voice coil so it would work. After I was done hooked up to 2 boss 5000w amps. And shattered my back and all my side windows

came to this thread to recommend soundqubed and ct sounds. OP goes with soundstream.

oh lawd.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 2631 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...