Second Skin Audio

Trouble figuring out a good tuning for a 4th order? Help Inside

Raptorman

Okay. I'm no box-god. But I've been doing quite a bit of research about 4th orders as I am looking to do one in my Blazer and am wanting to make sure it is absolutely perfect.

General responses from the big guys have said to tune to the resonant frequency of the sealed chamber. How do you find that? Use this calculator:

http://www.bcae1.com/spboxad2.htm

It is down near the bottom. Ignore qtc for the time-being and ignore port diameter in the calculator, enter all the other info then click calculate. play with the qtc and recalculate until you get the "Vb" or "Enclosure size" that your sealed chamber will be. And it has to be at least .707. Mine was .767 to get to where I was aiming, it's different for everyone.

For me, a zv3 18 in 3.25 cubes sealed, I got a resonant freq of 45hz. So that is where I should tune to.

This is all assuming you want a good musical response.

Now I do not know absolutely everything about 4th orders but I thought this was a pretty good starting point for the less experienced guys.

This isn't the end-all-be-all solution, take it with a grain of salt. Just figured I would share.

Credit to Thales (Omega) for showing me the calculator, I was always wondering how to figure out resonant freq.

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.

You tune a 4th order to the peak frequency of the sealed section.

Edit: See you already know this lol. You can use the newest SMD tool to get that. There is another product made by Dayton Audio that can also be used to achieve it. As far as how to find it with calculations, I have no idea.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Yep! I was planning on using DATS whenever I get my woofers and break them in beforehand to find the true T/S Specs. I don't trust posted T/S Specs too much, they're good for a general idea at best.

I messed with the calc and a 3hz variation in Fs lowered my resonance, and thus tuning point, by 5hz. So I will be getting DATS for sure and testing myself.

And Rootbeer idk if you read the entirety of my OP thoroughly. I wasn't asking how to calculate it, I was showing how to. Unless I am misunderstanding your post.

1996 GMC Sonoma
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

Yep! I was planning on using DATS whenever I get my woofers and break them in beforehand to find the true T/S Specs. I don't trust posted T/S Specs too much, they're good for a general idea at best.

I messed with the calc and a 3hz variation in Fs lowered my resonance, and thus tuning point, by 5hz. So I will be getting DATS for sure and testing myself.

And Rootbeer idk if you read the entirety of my OP thoroughly. I wasn't asking how to calculate it, I was showing how to. Unless I am misunderstanding your post.

I did, but I just got home and rushed through. Replied originally without reading hahah.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Haha all good sir.

1996 GMC Sonoma
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

Now if I could hear some gospel on series tuned 6th orders I'd be happy. The only one that I heard the least bit about ST 6th orders on SMD soon had me wondering where to move the port....

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

Archived