Second Skin Audio

Overpowering Subs W/ Clean Power

SQL50

A lot of good information so far. But... no one can say it's okay to over power subs by X amount, even if we assume nothing but clean signals will be played through it because there are myriad other factors involved. Box size and type are important variables as well as the primary type of music played through the sub. For instance, I might be able to over power a sub by a factor of 5 if all I ever listen to is classic rock. But if I listen to decaf, well... that sub probably won't fare well.

Another thing to consider is the compliance of the sub. If it has a low compliance (stiff) suspension, it'll be able to take a lot more over rated than a high compliance sub because it won't be so prone to reaching its mechanical limitations.

Ultimately, I would not recommend sending more than double rated power to your subs unless you're very well versed in how they act when stressed. And even then, I wouldn't recommend it unless your gains were set with a DD-1 or scope and on a 0dB track.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

^ never thought about setting the gain with a 0db track when overpowering. that still something I need to learn about though. don't know much about the difference between 0 -5 -10db tack or anything of the sort. I should search for info on that now actually.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

User experience is key.

I'm running 8k to a pair of 12s right now. Can play all day if I'm not stupid with it. Biggest thing at that point, especially with smaller subs, is to be careful of mechanical limitations. If I slip on the volume knob, at any frequency, I can bottom out my subs. They'll stink quick if I start jumping the gap (xmax) too. Just need to be aware of thermal and mechanical limitations. Understand that you can't always go full tilt. Need to have some restraint, and need to know your gear. You'll also need to make sure your box is up to par, both in size and strength

That being said, I've run 3.5k to a kicker comp 12, sundown SA 12, old RF punch 12s, sundown SA-8, aq hdc3 18, kenwood 8" (don't remember which one), crossfire XS-SPL 12s.

Know how many of those I blew? None.

As long as the signal, which is the only thing that can be distorted, is clean.

I know that you probably know there are more forms of distortion than this, Rootxbeer, but there are other forms of distortion that can adversely affect the quality of the reproduced signal when over powering. However, if just looking for thermal reliability, distorted signals would be a huge mess up.

Edit: Spelling

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Archived