Second Skin Audio

learning about enclosures. .

ojm214

I'm trying to get into different enclosures and specs and stuff.

One of my questions is how do people run big subs in little enclosures? Do they need to add more amp power? The smaller the box the more power they need? Or how does that work?

Also, the bigger the box the lower the frequency? Or how does all this work out?

Sorry about these noob questions but I'm just trying to learn more about enclosures

The only thing you can do is find big subs that will work in small enclosures, like the Zv3 18" which can work in 4 cubes net. Don't ever run a sub way off the manufacturer specs unless you really know what you are doing, you will likely end up damaging it or getting bad performance from it.

You can only learn by asking. Let's start with big subs in little boxes. I guess that depends on your definition of a little box. Sealed or ported? A 12" sub in a smaller than optimal box can usually handle more power because there is better cone control. The size of the box doesnt determine the tuning, that would be the length of the port in a ported box or the RF of the sub in a sealed (I could be and probably am completely wrong on that part).

OP, boxes are simple and complex at the same time. lease do your research very well and get help omm here before final decision on your set up. Or you'll be like me with a F'ed up substage and have to start all over. Argh!

Just my 2 cents, good luck man!

This site has some good info, that is well written, for people starting car audio.

Some of the other information you may know, but it isn't bad to go through it again for a refresher.

http://www.bcae1.com/

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Archived