New board came in the mail last week, just havent had the time to put it in. This is a Gen III board which can handle quad cores for the dell 2950 Poweredge. I guess the guy forgot to take the CPU's out, so it came with two quad cores! Bonus!

20140209_142255_zpsyh2qhjk8.jpg

Starting to pull the old board, as you can see it only has 1 CPU in it right now, Dual core, 4 megs of cache. New CPU's are 2.66 ghz quad core with 12 megs of L2 each. Only 8GB of ram.

20140209_144349_zps5vyyh92f.jpg

20140209_144355_zpsostjgpuv.jpg

New board in, only took about 10 minutes. I didnt even need a screw driver.

20140209_150532_zpsdoitdndo.jpg

I dont even know what RPM these things spin at, but the warning sticker shows someone loosing a finger.

20140209_150742_zpshw0hehgo.jpg

All back together!

20140209_150915_zps2jpm43db.jpg

IT BOOTS

20140209_151556_zpsjkhorxml.jpg

Current specs

5x1TB SATA in RAID5

1x136gig SAS 15k (OS)

2xCPU Quad Core 2.66ghz/512 L1/12M L2

16 GB FB-DIMM ECC

its purty quick.

Delta fan's, dual quadcores, RAID! :droolcup:

If any of you guys get bored looking at bulids over here(hard to do!) I highly advise heading over to overclock.net and checking out some of those guy's builds... two to three fully watercooled PC's all in a self enclosed desk...

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

The bottom one is data backup, the 2850, which has 6 10krpm 300gig SCSI3 drives in RAID5. I mainly use that for files I dont want to loose, hardly any docks are stored on my actual computer. All of them automaticly map the documents and downloads folder to this server. The 2950 is a media server with around 3.75TB. I have 18+ devices on my network at home and it streams media to Roku with PLEX. I was having some issues with the transcoding and running a few game servers on it at the same time. Upgrade was about 100$ total. Ram was 45, mobo was 55. I run a minecraft server, CSS, Unreal Tournement, and a few other game servers for a LAN. Both nics are also teamed so they load balance.

The bottom one is data backup, the 2850, which has 6 10krpm 300gig SCSI3 drives in RAID5. I mainly use that for files I dont want to loose, hardly any docks are stored on my actual computer. All of them automaticly map the documents and downloads folder to this server. The 2950 is a media server with around 3.75TB. I have 18+ devices on my network at home and it streams media to Roku with PLEX. I was having some issues with the transcoding and running a few game servers on it at the same time. Upgrade was about 100$ total. Ram was 45, mobo was 55. I run a minecraft server, CSS, Unreal Tournement, and a few other game servers for a LAN. Both nics are also teamed so they load balance.

How's the transcoding running now? I'm looking to set up backup and media servers for my new place and I'm not sure how much processing power I'll need. I actually just got a Roku3 to run Netflix after I stopped paying for Xbox LIVE. I've been looking into Plex as I currently have all of my media on an external hard drive plugged into the side of the Roku and every time I want to add content I have to unplug it, plug it into my desktop, move files, and then unplug it and plug it back into the Roku. Having all of my media in one spot seems so much easier and I'm up for building a new low-power mITX server because my desktop pulls ~150W at idle and there's no way I'm leaving that thing running it 24/7. Running backup to it instead of an external drive will just be icing on the cake.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

Archived