Second Skin Audio

Anybody use "Superlite" MDF?

TRON

Local place sells all sized of MDF in regular and "Superlite". It's claimed to be just as strong but lighter, and I can atest that a full sheet is signifiganltly lighter than regular. Though I'm skeptical on the strenght part, as most people would be using it for mouldings or cabnets.

Anybody build an enclosure with it?

Only reason I'm interested in the stuff is if it's actually just as strong, I'm down to save some weight.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

How much more is the cost? Birch can be as affordable if that are asking an arm and a leg for the Superlite stuff

Runs about $15 more per sheet. Not bad but it adds up if you buy 4 or 5 sheets.

Is birch lighter than MDF? Never used it before.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

Can you get the small "project panels"? You could always cut a strip off and test to see the strength difference yourself.

As for birch: You need to do some searching for quality stuff. The sheets I got at my local home depot kind of sucked. Lighter than MDF but not by much. Felt a little weaker though - seemed like it bowed more when I picked up a sheet. PITA to cut - splinters everywhere and it split really easily when you tried to put screws in it.

IMO I like MDF. It's dusty, but that's all it is. Bust out the broom and sweep it up, it's all uniform. Don't need to worry about wood grain or messing up the finish either

I agree, nothing wrong with mdf at all besides it begin heavy, dusty and not liking water.

If birch was the same price, I would always use birch. At the end of the day, MDF will do the same job.

Local lumber yards are where you're gonna get the most quality wood imo, if you're looking for a nice birch or something like that. My buddys dad is a general contractor, and always goes to a local yard in Piedmont, which is like 30 - 45 min away from me, and all the birch I saw was damn good, and prices were decent too being it's not a huge chain. Incredibly nice people too.

Current setup in my 96 Hoe

Hu - Pioneer DEH-80prs.

Amps - (4) Crossfire C5 1700D's, MTX Thunder 5604(mids), PPI Art 300.2 (tweets)

Batts - 4 91ah rear batts, 50ah batt up front.

Subs - 2 Crossfire XSv2 18's

Alt - Singer 330A

Front stage - Random JL & Eclipse mids, Eclipse tweets

Archived