Chevelle Engine Paint Job Colors?! DECISIONS, DECISIONS. COME HELP THE COLORBLIND KID OUT.

Ok, so I've decided that it's time to get this thing into at least somewhat show-like condition. The floor panel replacement was happening anyway, and so was the conversion to serpentine belt for the audio system. Now, given the power of the internet and harbor freight tools I've decided to clean up the engine, fix the terrible oil leak that has baked on the worst grease and grime I've seen in a while, and make it look great.

Please help me pick an engine paint scheme, as I am colorblind, (that does not = see black and white only) it just means my eyes constantly have the ability to look at colors and decide they are different depending on how I shift my view and whatnot.

So, given the color coordination of those on here; I'm very undecided about the exact way, but I have a few generic looks and pictures to go along with what I like. The information you need to know is this:

-The chevelle is a medium candy apple red/orange

-the current engine bay is a dull black (it's greasy but WILL be cleaned up)

-Depending on the color choices I WANT to use more chrome tubes and pipes and replace all these rubber ones, they will have dark blue/red endings, please consider this when thinking about the colors.

-I will be running a deep/dark red set of MSD superconductor wires from the plugs to the distributor.

-All the new pulleys will be CHROME and I can make the alternator bracket chrome too OR paint it anything I want.

SO WHAT I NEED MOST IMPORTANTLY IS THIS:

-COLOR OF INDIVIDUAL PARTS OF ENGINE AND COLOR/CHROME OF THE TRIM (VALVE COVERS & FILTER COVER) THAT YOU THINK WOULD LOOK COOL AND/OR JUST WORK WELL WITH THE GIVEN COLORS.

Also wanted to add that I CAN paint the headers and even the engine bay with those nice duplicolor rattle can sprays but I'm not sure how it will go once I paint the rest of the car.

Here's the color combos I like so far, I just can't decide between going lots of chrome on top with a color block, or color valves and block with matching intake and cylinder heads, and so on and so on.

I'm most leaning towards a very dark red engine block and valve covers along with silver cylinder heads & intake, red wires and chrome tubing throughout. It might be hard to picture so here's something close:

(mine would be a much darker red, not orange, this picture really doesn't do it justice in my head)

572-BBC-crate-engine.jpg

BUT DARK RED LIKE THIS with the SAME DARK RED VALVE COVERS AND RED WIRES

383_efi_complete_250.png

I REALLY like this color style and I think my dark red wires would look great against the black, BUT I'm concerned it would look boring or not really stand out against the black of the engine bay? And there would still be the matter of all the chrome tubing else where. Second choice for sure at this point though.

454-Chevy-crate-engine.jpg

03-02-12-119.jpg

And these others are just ones I like the look of but not quite sure about it in my setup.

PB301196.png

20120223_111929Chevyfull.png

25029d1211456995-1971-chevelle-sale-chev

valvecovers1.jpg

I really like this one above and below, but I hear the matte black can be a real pain to keep clean, even worse than chrome? idk at all, just heard it.

DSC_0420.jpg

20120223_142841Chevyaltps.png

Imagine this but with RED wires, NOT yellow.

Chevy-540-big-block-stroker-engine.jpg

This is the dark red for the engine block I was talking about, but it doesn't have the valve covers painted.

383-Chevy-stroker-crate-engine-with-475-

This is what I'm concerned about the black for, it looks amazing outside, but somewhat boring once against the black engine bay, or is it just me?

Jason_383_3.jpg

I REALLY like this set up too, but instead of blue wires, imagine red ones.

021.jpg

I have other pics but these are the one's I like most so far, any suggest would be great.

Biomedical/Behavioral Science Major, The (Self-Proclaimed) Undisputed-Homemade-Woofer-King

Super-Neodymium-Woofer Build Log: The D4BA-V.2 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169236-diy-super-neodymium-woofer-build-log/?p=2475620

Fucking love Alan you goddamned fucking super nerd lol

When Alan uses big words I don't understand

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

Everytime I see a guy driving a mini cooper I cant help but think he loves cock & (2/29/16)-My wife just bitched at me about throwing out things we don't really use. My response of well we don't really use your vagina so should we throw that out was evidently not the right response. I had to leave the room.

I missed Alan.

RIP 5/29/15 - I love you son.

First I would paint the bay to match rhe exterior. Then I would go black and chrome for the engine. Like satin black. And on your valve covers I would do any writing on them in rhe exterior color. That way it all matches. Having multiple shades of red wont look too good imho. Plus having the multiple shades will wreak havoc on your eyes. I am red green deficient but mine is only to the extent of like burgundy next to like hunter green they look brown.

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

Clean up the engine bay, shave it all and have as little wires and other lines visible as you can.

Paint engine bay to match the car.

Engine block and heads should be Chevy Orange. Use Plastikote primer and orange.

Intake manifold and headers aluminum.

Valve covers, air filter cover, and all other misc. shit chrome. (Option here to do the headers in chrome).

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

Which motor do you even have in the Chevelle?

And I know Ken said chrome headers, but I like ceramic coated better personally.

I said chrome optional. Thanks.

Haha, I saw your optional disclaimer. A lot of guys don't like the way chrome discolors when it gets hot. I personally love it, but ceramic well keep that same color and look.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Which motor do you even have in the Chevelle?

And I know Ken said chrome headers, but I like ceramic coated better personally.

a 350 in there for now, but I don't really want to deal with it, I want to just get a new 383 block, hand build it all the way up. I know I could just get this one over bored but it's already had so much leak and wear on it I'm not sure it would be worth the cost of getting it ready vs buying a 383 block.

And as for chevy orange the only problem is that it is COMPLETELY out of match with the car color. If I spray the bay, AND chevy orange the engine, won't that look really weird? Especially since the colors are same spectrum, not contrasting, like red vs blue, or yellow vs green. But then again my worst color blind mix up's are red/green/brown/orange so maybe it's just my eyes.

I also like the look of some of the ceramic headers, but I think I like the chrome better IF it looks good with the engine paint. Or I can paint the headers too I guess.

Biomedical/Behavioral Science Major, The (Self-Proclaimed) Undisputed-Homemade-Woofer-King

Super-Neodymium-Woofer Build Log: The D4BA-V.2 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169236-diy-super-neodymium-woofer-build-log/?p=2475620

Fucking love Alan you goddamned fucking super nerd lol

When Alan uses big words I don't understand

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

Everytime I see a guy driving a mini cooper I cant help but think he loves cock & (2/29/16)-My wife just bitched at me about throwing out things we don't really use. My response of well we don't really use your vagina so should we throw that out was evidently not the right response. I had to leave the room.

I missed Alan.

RIP 5/29/15 - I love you son.

The Orange is what the engine is supposed to be, it won't look weird. Chevrolet DID paint the Chevelle in red in '71 with the block and heads being orange. The orange is a really brilliant color and is what is supposed to be in a between the frame rails of that car. I get it, you want some color that just pops, but something about factory matched is just as sexy. This is all my opinion, and you're gonna make up your own mind regardless because you're going to do what looks good to you.

I love what chrome looks like when it gets hot. I also like the clean look of ceramic coating and it looks really clean. I like the benefit of the ceramic coating as well as far as the heat factor

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Archived