I will do some testing with 45s this week and see what we have. I'm also going to start planning out the cab bracing and how to make EVERYTHING pretty.

I'm also thinking if getting a Matrix to get voltage up. I've heard that the PRS80 can struggle a bit with SPL builds from overprocessing

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Never heard that about the 80-PRS! explain please?

I've heard from some that the preout voltage can be a bit low. Then I've heard others say they get 4.8V from them. I have heard of a truck to use a Matrix to get closer to 7V out.

Local SQ guy who runs BOBOS(and wins) went from the 80PRS to a Kenwood eXcelon deck and noticed a solid 1 db gain from head unit swap only. I think his had a gremlin in it, but it was still a gain. It won't hurt if I can boost line voltage CLEANLY to the amp, so I think I'm going to try the Matrix to avoid swapping out headunits. It was the SQ guy's belief that the 80 just has too tight a grip on everything and tries to process too much.

Thank you for the explanation, Had me worried there for second! ha ha Since i am not chasing #'s i will chalk it up as good info. You box is looking sick. I hope the 45's raise your #'s.

Thank you for the explanation, Had me worried there for second! ha ha Since i am not chasing #'s i will chalk it up as good info. You box is looking sick. I hope the 45's raise your #'s.

Thank you sir. Once I get the box dialed in, I'll focus oh pretty again ;)

Thank you ALL for being tuned in and interested. I'm really proud of it so far. It demos like a champ

Never heard that about the 80-PRS! explain please?

I've heard from some that the preout voltage can be a bit low. Then I've heard others say they get 4.8V from them. I have heard of a truck to use a Matrix to get closer to 7V out.

Local SQ guy who runs BOBOS(and wins) went from the 80PRS to a Kenwood eXcelon deck and noticed a solid 1 db gain from head unit swap only. I think his had a gremlin in it, but it was still a gain. It won't hurt if I can boost line voltage CLEANLY to the amp, so I think I'm going to try the Matrix to avoid swapping out headunits. It was the SQ guy's belief that the 80 just has too tight a grip on everything and tries to process too much.

i dont think that would matter since you have the gain on the amp.. if the 80prs is doing too much and having a tight grip then you still have the gain to match pre amp output .. i think they got the HU that has more pre amp output and never set the gain properly to match that of the new HU. i have both head units 80prs and the kenwood exelon. the only difference is kenwood is easier to mess with

I thought the same too, about gain matching. These are guys that test, tune, test, tune. They setup their stuff clean with O scope or DD-1. I know logic days it shouldn't make sense, but I know two guys that have seen measurable gains in SPL with either adding a Matrix or swapping got a different head unit.

It seems like theory and real world vary with this HU(as far as gain matching, clean etc). I'm not going to give up on the HU, but if it's trying to over process something on the bass side, I'm going to find a way around it.

Is there an Excelon with TA?

Awesome build by the way, the box is sweeeeeeet! Baltic or something else?

I want to stain my next box, which might be soon. Lost a coil on one of my subs, hard bottomed too many times haha.

Knowledge is the greatest tool in any garage. It's also the most priceless, and most easily shared. icon_nuts.gif

Here's my latest build.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/181273-89-c1500-build-log/

Is there an Excelon with TA?

Awesome build by the way, the box is sweeeeeeet! Baltic or something else?

I want to stain my next box, which might be soon. Lost a coil on one of my subs, hard bottomed too many times haha.

They do make a Kenwood eXcelon with Time alignment, yes. The wood I'm using is birch, not Baltic though. It's cabinet grade birch(can't render the letter designation).

Archived