Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Ported Enclosure questions by the boatload


harlemn8ive

Recommended Posts

Posted

I have been surfing forums and youtube for Hours but the simplest of questions i have yet to find an answer to. I am a noob. I am trying to learn all I can about car audio. I have built a few sealed enclosures even took at shot at a fiberglass enclosure. But I would like to try a ported enclosure. Could anyone give some advice as far as how to determine the best type of port because this is what confuses me I can punch in numbers to get a box but I would rather retain the knowledge to understand how to design one. It also doesn't help that the thickest MDF sold in Japan is 1 cm(.39") Any help would be highly appreciated.

Check out my build slow but... slow and steady wins the race

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/185561-1st-build-budget-toyota-mark-2/

Posted

could always try birch plwood? people use that too for boxes

:domodance: :domodance::morepower1:New Build in the Making :morepower1: :domodance: :domodance:

1999 Infiniti I30 Limited

if you break a rule and argue with n8 your going to get banned. suspended if your lucky.

Posted

i use birch but some around here use 3/4" cabinet grade pine with very good results.

03 Santa Fe E A 200 amp alt,JVC AVX840,kenwood 6.5 fr speakers,eclipse 6.5 rears,mids/high amp XTA-2160, sub amp XTA-5000d,0 guage throughout,batts-front/1 batcap 2000,rear/ batcap4000,2 C&D Dynasty agms, subs 2 DC XL M1 15"s in a music box tuned to 28hz....for now.

Posted

Like others have said, just use plywood. People use MDF because its cheap, easy to get, and work well enough, not because its the best thing there is.

If you want to learn more about ported enclosures check out this thread: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/180344-seeking-design-info-beyond-box-calculators/

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

dude, you're in japan, use Bamboo!!

CURRENT SYSTEM:

  • Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

 
Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db
Posted

dude, you're in japan, use Bamboo!!

:WTFBubble::roflmao:

:domodance: :domodance::morepower1:New Build in the Making :morepower1: :domodance: :domodance:

1999 Infiniti I30 Limited

if you break a rule and argue with n8 your going to get banned. suspended if your lucky.

Posted

Thanks a lot guys.That's good to know... as far as building a ported enclosure is there anything anyone could tell me about i imagine airflow concepts. Because I think that's where I get confused this weekend I want to build a ported enclosure for this JL W312v2 I have laying around for practice but aside from the manufacturers website I don't know where to begin

Check out my build slow but... slow and steady wins the race

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/185561-1st-build-budget-toyota-mark-2/

Posted

download torres box tuning calculator and winisd and design a box

:domodance: :domodance::morepower1:New Build in the Making :morepower1: :domodance: :domodance:

1999 Infiniti I30 Limited

if you break a rule and argue with n8 your going to get banned. suspended if your lucky.

Posted

Is there anything specific you would like to know?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

Is there anything specific you would like to know?

the man right here for box help ^

:domodance: :domodance::morepower1:New Build in the Making :morepower1: :domodance: :domodance:

1999 Infiniti I30 Limited

if you break a rule and argue with n8 your going to get banned. suspended if your lucky.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3301 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...