classic100% Posted February 25, 2014 Author Report Posted February 25, 2014 Now, how is is done, my box was designed for a very limited space. Keeding in mind that fiberglassing inside was not took into consideration and adding to much will change the volume on the box, bort area, etc. How may layers wound me recommended and what thickness should the matting be?
classic100% Posted February 25, 2014 Author Report Posted February 25, 2014 There's a lot more you should do than that at what point would you recommended that glassing should be done and what could/would happen if it's not. I have had a 15 with 5000 watt without fiberglassing with no failure.
Pioneerchuck Posted February 25, 2014 Report Posted February 25, 2014 Before anyone starts giving you the wrong info, what exactly will your system consist of?
classic100% Posted February 25, 2014 Author Report Posted February 25, 2014 Before anyone starts giving you the wrong info, what exactly will your system consist of? Box wish, 2 12 inch AB VFL on a Taramp HD 8000. The box was made with 3/4 ply( 1 inch not available where I am) screwed together with 2 1/14 screws and glues with Gorilla. glue
Pioneerchuck Posted February 26, 2014 Report Posted February 26, 2014 It might be worth it to glass all the corners/edges on the inside of the box
david.brady Posted February 28, 2014 Report Posted February 28, 2014 Have you done anything else to seal the box, or just glued? If a box is cut and assembled well, for most general applications fiberglass reinforcement is not necessary. I say reinforcement because that's generally what you want to be doing. Sure you can pour resin in the corners and it will seal the corners provided you are using a quality resin and it displaces evenly and smooth enough. I agree with _paralyzed_, unless you're talking about a ported box that actually moves air glassing the inside walls is useless, IMHO. Even ported, I am not sure the difference would be measurable with anything other than the most sensitive sound equipment. However, in massive watt applications, reinforcing the inside edges and corners with fiberglass is logical. I say that with care, though. Again, I can't say I think it is absolutely necessary. Just my $.02.
kdh Posted February 28, 2014 Report Posted February 28, 2014 I will usually put fiberglass weave between all my joints with additional wood glue. I do this because my cuts might not be perfect and that helps. I'll pre-drill all my holes, and then screw it all together. Then on the inside of the box, I'll do 2 or 3 layers of weave plus resign on the inside of the box at any joint to make sure there is no air leakage. Putting fiber glass on the outside of your box it pretty silly and a waste of materials. Unless its an odd shaped box. Standard Plywood is a bad choice for speaker boxes. Good news is, if you don't like the sound of your box, you can always rebuild it down the road with MDF. If you are happy with the sound of your box, you can call it a day.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.