Second Skin Audio

1.34 Cu.Ft for sealed..really?

Rck'nRF

I can think of a couple reasons. A single 12 in a ridiculously huge box way underpowered would boom a little but be a little sloppy, that same sub in the same box on rated power would overextend its mechanical limits due to the fact that it would essentially be free air in a box that large and would have little to no cone control. The other possibility is that you may have been using a subwoofer that was designed for free air or IB use and since it was in a huge box it was essentially the same as infinite baffle. The last one is this, im unsure of your age but I had a "system" in an 88 sentra back in 93 that I thought was bad ass, I sold the car and it was a few years before I had another system in a car. The Sentra had 2 15's, my next system was a single 12. In 99 I ran into the guy that bought my sentra, still had the same system in it and it was nowhere near as bad ass as I thought it was. So time can make things seem better than they were...lol

Don't under estimate a quality 15 sealed with the right power

agree

3rd loudest rig to date for me... was 4 15's sealed. Fuck they kicked ass at 38-50.. NO shit...

Beasty boys ALL day...

I loved that old build

Rolex, Kylar, would a 2.1 ft3 sealed box be enough? I don't want to lead this man astray! I just feel like a 3+ ft3 box would end up killing the sub.

When subs are sealed, many don't need much airspace at all. I looked at Alpine and they actually suggest from 1.25-2.00 sealed for the newest Type S 15" sub. So build a box in the bigger dude, around 2 cubes to get the low end response you'll be happy with.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Rolex, Kylar, would a 2.1 ft3 sealed box be enough? I don't want to lead this man astray! I just feel like a 3+ ft3 box would end up killing the sub.

2 cubes is where I'd want to be on that sub sealed.

I agree, id go on the LARGER side.. for sure.

Man.. im lookin for old pics now.. :(

I can think of a couple reasons. A single 12 in a ridiculously huge box way underpowered would boom a little but be a little sloppy, that same sub in the same box on rated power would overextend its mechanical limits due to the fact that it would essentially be free air in a box that large and would have little to no cone control. The other possibility is that you may have been using a subwoofer that was designed for free air or IB use and since it was in a huge box it was essentially the same as infinite baffle. The last one is this, im unsure of your age but I had a "system" in an 88 sentra back in 93 that I thought was bad ass, I sold the car and it was a few years before I had another system in a car. The Sentra had 2 15's, my next system was a single 12. In 99 I ran into the guy that bought my sentra, still had the same system in it and it was nowhere near as bad ass as I thought it was. So time can make things seem better than they were...lol

Haha great^^

..after some thought,perhaps reason #3 just might be

the winning ticket here!..like a 1st love,maybe it's all about

never forgetting that expierence an blowing it up overly.

You dudes&Alpine may be on to something,i think i'll go 2.1cuft. after everything

thar was said here!

Sealed boxes act as a suspension for the subs so going larger hurts. I wouldn't go more that 15% bigger than what the manufacturer suggests and then make sure power isn't above max.

for example I still run some 15" Kicker Solobarics (the round ones)in 1.5 cubic inch boxes and feed them all 700 watts each. I wouldn't dream of putting them in a 2.0 cubic foot box with that much power on them.

the exact same sub with the exact same power sealed will not get as loud as ported. Do not get LOUD confused with LOW. My 15's get LOW but compared to a sub that can take 1500 watts they will not be as LOUD. people tend to get the two L's confused at times

Rolex you sicken me.

this_zpszasq3bwt.gif

Just let me finish my pie

~ Juice

Archived