My build on my 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4:

2 Sundown SA 12's

Sundown SAZ 1500d v3

Alpine CDE-HD148BT

Hertz 165 Speakers

Atrend Carbon Enclosure

Stinger SPP925 Battery

Sky High 2/0 & 1/0 Power Wire & Big 3

:domodance::domodance: Legal 145.2 dB. :morepower1: Team Sundown. :domodance::domodance:

cd64929e-8a60-41ea-b784-c5c6096f49b8_zps

Battery bank does nothing to help you stay at 14.

After you consume the alt output, your into battery.

Reserve. All about reserve.

Edit- I could add 150 more batteries. And still not hold 14v.

I draw more than my alt can make.

But, I can demo full tilt, @ battery rest ish for a long long time.

Yes, that's essentially what I meant. My wording isn't always on spot but that's how I learned it, does adding a Capacitor make it more efficient or are they pretty useless?

Welcome to my sig :D

2 Sundown SA 12's

Sundown SAZ 1500d v3

Alpine CDE-HD148BT

Hertz 165 Speakers

Atrend Carbon Enclosure

Stinger SPP925 Battery

:domodance::domodance: Legal 145.2 dB. :morepower1: Team Sundown. :domodance::domodance:

Having the extra battery almost ensures you that you keep above or around 14V which gives your amp max power and efficiency. But usually when you get another battery you upgrade your alt as well, because (if i'm not mistaken) most stock alts only give about 80-120A at max output and like max ~30 while idle. MECHMAN is the guy to talk to about alts and electrical, because, well, he's a MECHMAN Rep and it's his job :)

A stock alternator will have great idle output, so 30A is a very low ball. (for an alt that does 100A max)

It will be closer to 70% of it's maximum capacity.

Yes, that's essentially what I meant. My wording isn't always on spot but that's how I learned it, does adding a Capacitor make it more efficient or are they pretty useless?

Adding a capacitor is to smooth out voltage ripples, that doesn't mean the voltage will be higher then without it. (and a 1-10F cap won't help you much if you have a shitty electrical)

The point of adding a extra battery is that you have more power stored and ready to go before the alternator turns on.(also if you like to draw current with the car off)

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Thanks man, i appreciate the correction. Alt's aren't my area of "expertise" per say. Yeah someone tried to convince me to buy a memphis cap once upon a time lol.

2 Sundown SA 12's

Sundown SAZ 1500d v3

Alpine CDE-HD148BT

Hertz 165 Speakers

Atrend Carbon Enclosure

Stinger SPP925 Battery

Having the extra battery almost ensures you that you keep above or around 14V which gives your amp max power and efficiency. But usually when you get another battery you upgrade your alt as well, because (if i'm not mistaken) most stock alts only give about 80-120A at max output and like max ~30 while idle. MECHMAN is the guy to talk to about alts and electrical, because, well, he's a MECHMAN Rep and it's his job :)

A stock alternator will have great idle output, so 30A is a very low ball. (for an alt that does 100A max)

Adding a capacitor is to smooth out voltage ripples, that doesn't mean the voltage will be higher then without it. (and a 1-10F cap won't help you much if you have a shitty electrical)

The point of adding a extra battery is that you have more power stored and ready to go before the alternator turns on.(also if you like to draw current with the car off)

Actually adding a battery is for capacity for the system to feed. The batteries act as a buffer between the alternator and amplifier or winch or lights etc..

Actually adding a battery is for capacity for the system to feed. The batteries act as a buffer between the alternator and amplifier or winch or lights etc..

That makes sense, electrical has always been kind of confusing to me, that's why I'm glad there's people to help out on here xD

2 Sundown SA 12's

Sundown SAZ 1500d v3

Alpine CDE-HD148BT

Hertz 165 Speakers

Atrend Carbon Enclosure

Stinger SPP925 Battery

Sorry OP to steal your thread xD. I gotta get a new alt here soon tho, I'm still on factory. Do you do custom alts MechMan? Cus I have an odd car for H/O Alts from what I've seen.

2 Sundown SA 12's

Sundown SAZ 1500d v3

Alpine CDE-HD148BT

Hertz 165 Speakers

Atrend Carbon Enclosure

Stinger SPP925 Battery

True, but a capacitor is more powerful (discharges quicker) than a battery. Which is quite helpful for music and bursts situations, (as I said before a capacitor of only 1-10F will do close to nothing)

A capacitor will always be able to discharge quicker because it takes some time for batteries to turn chemical energy into electricity

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Archived