Sonic Electronix

Torres and Cubic Feet Formula

I have been trying to learn about enclosures lately so I have been tryin to design my own and also help my friends with there's. Last night a buddy text me and ask me if the dimensions 14 Tall, 35 Wide, 19 Deep would be enough for 2 12s in is Tiburon. I was away from my PC so I just multiplied the 3 numbers and divided them by 1728 (saw it on bcae1.com) and got 5.38 cubes. I told him sure because most 12s can do with 2cubes per sub. BUT this morning I just plugged the same dimensions into Torres and got 4.24 cubes. Is the 1728 formula not reliable or does Torres automatically figure in a variable that the formula doesn't?

Torres is accounting for the wood thickness. You are not. The 4.24 is internal.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

I have been trying to learn about enclosures lately so I have been tryin to design my own and also help my friends with there's. Last night a buddy text me and ask me if the dimensions 14 Tall, 35 Wide, 19 Deep would be enough for 2 12s in is Tiburon. I was away from my PC so I just multiplied the 3 numbers and divided them by 1728 (saw it on bcae1.com) and got 5.38 cubes. I told him sure because most 12s can do with 2cubes per sub. BUT this morning I just plugged the same dimensions into Torres and got 4.24 cubes. Is the 1728 formula not reliable or does Torres automatically figure in a variable that the formula doesn't?

That's because when you done it you didn't subtract for the wood thickness,you needed to subtract an 1.5" from each measurement.

Did you subtract 1.5 from all of those dimensions? You have to think in terms of INTERNAL dimensions. A box that is 35" wide on the outside is only 33.5" on the inside, if 3/4 material is used during construction.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Go with aero ports in that Tibby, you may even be able to run a portion of the port externally to save you from eating into the volume of the box.

Thanks, I have been trying to convince him to do it for that exact reason

Yea I just went and search "1728 Torres" into the search box and found out why. Really should look more before I start asking questions. I'm an idiot :shrug:

Nothing with being an idiot, we all are ignorant about something. At least you came and asked someone and now you're less ignorant of box building. ;-)

To add to the above information, you also have to consider port, brace and driver displacement when actually designing a box, as all of those things reduce your net internal volume.

One last thing. If there is ever a discrepancy between a mathematical formula and a software program... math wins. Just double check that you're applying the math correctly.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

Single 15 would work great in a box like that.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

Archived