Sundown Audio

High Pitched Noise Coming From Amplifier

WaCkKoO

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Its a really nice day today, so I'm going to play some music later and try to recreate the problem. I'll start unplugging RCA's once I hear it, and see if the noise goes away, but if I remember correctly, I've tried tried disconnecting the RCA's at the amplifier, and the noise still stayed :( Maybe I'll get some pictures of my grounds as well, and see what you guys think of 'em! Thanks so far!

Well, I could not (for once) recreate the noise! Maybe it had something to do with the line driver I removed? Dunno! But I listened to it for a while, on all different sources, and I gave the amp a few taps and moved it around a little. I also jiggled my LC-1 and the connected RCA's. I guess this is a good thing that I couldn't get it to come back! I did also change the mounting from the back of my seat to flat on the floor of the trunk. But here are pictures of my grounds, you guys can tell me what ya think!

2d404554-bf2f-4de8-8b3c-292d53af26f7_zps

This is the amplifier ground to the seat belt. The metal on the bottom was sanded down, no paint.

4c2e36a9-a6d2-4430-ab77-f6af4b4f383b_zps

This is the radio's ground is on the negative battery terminal. I did this (along with the radio's power) because I had extra wire to use and I wanted the most amount of power to the radio, seeing as I was getting some suspicious voltage drop at the radio. Hopefully this isn't a "no-no".

Yes that ground is a no no.

2012 Chevy sonic1xSQ HDC3 12 D2RF R1200d

140 square foot of Q-Mat(soon to be installed)

140.2Db sealed on the dash with TL

142 DB sealed on the dash with another meter (was dead on with the TL at a show i was at)

141 on music.

strangeduck,on 02 Jan 2014 - 01:39 AM, said:

when my car spins out i just put the car in neutral, turn in the direction i want to go and pucker my asshole

Ground to your amp is a no no IMO. I would have just wired your radio like normal and not ran the other wires but that's just me

2012 Chevy sonic1xSQ HDC3 12 D2RF R1200d

140 square foot of Q-Mat(soon to be installed)

140.2Db sealed on the dash with TL

142 DB sealed on the dash with another meter (was dead on with the TL at a show i was at)

141 on music.

strangeduck,on 02 Jan 2014 - 01:39 AM, said:

when my car spins out i just put the car in neutral, turn in the direction i want to go and pucker my asshole

• 10 months later...

Not meaning to dig up an insanely old post, but I have found the very interesting solution!

I was told that the high pitched noise could be coming from a loose toroid transformer inside the amplifier (the wire wrapped doughnut looking thing). I was told it increases the voltage quite a bit, and if it is loose, could be causing that high pitched noise since it could be moving in the neighborhood of a few thousand Hz. I went to the hardware store looking for some sort of adhesive or coating to cover the suspect toroid, and I ended up with a little bottle of home liquid nails that claimed it had extreme temperature protection. I opened up the amp and poked at the (pretty sure only) toroid transformer inside and to my delight, found one strand looser than the others (one connecting the toroid to the board). I put a nice amount of glue on it and let it sit for a day, and now the noise is finally gone!!!

Thought I would put this out there just on the off chance someone else has the same issue! Sorry, I forgot to take pictures!

Not meaning to dig up an insanely old post, but I have found the very interesting solution!

I was told that the high pitched noise could be coming from a loose toroid transformer inside the amplifier (the wire wrapped doughnut looking thing). I was told it increases the voltage quite a bit, and if it is loose, could be causing that high pitched noise since it could be moving in the neighborhood of a few thousand Hz. I went to the hardware store looking for some sort of adhesive or coating to cover the suspect toroid, and I ended up with a little bottle of home liquid nails that claimed it had extreme temperature protection. I opened up the amp and poked at the (pretty sure only) toroid transformer inside and to my delight, found one strand looser than the others (one connecting the toroid to the board). I put a nice amount of glue on it and let it sit for a day, and now the noise is finally gone!!!

Thought I would put this out there just on the off chance someone else has the same issue! Sorry, I forgot to take pictures!

Good detective work! Good stuff to know too.

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

Thank you for the follow up. Good work

Archived