Second Skin Audio

Resining a box?

What do y'all do to resin your box before painting? Thin it down? Roller or brush? How many coats? Sand between coats or as the final step?

And what are some good brands of matte/semigloss black paint? I've used rustoleum in the past. Really not happy with it and I'm looking for something elae

thin coats of resin with alt of thinner to make sure its smooth, especially if you are using cheaper resin like 3m bondo brand

then even if you spraying black use a good primer, i use duplicolor white 3x cover or something works pretty good, but nothing compares to primer shot from a hvlp gun with a compressor

SCSB

Santa Cruz Speaker Box

Build logs:

Daily Driver Lemon Marquis

2 american bass 750.1s

350.4 on 14 focal 6.5s

sq 945 on 4 hertz tweeters

Mystery subs peepwall.gif

http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

The Mustang 'dubbed' Shirley the project from bullet holes to badass

http://www.stevemead...cond-skin-time/

What I did was just a few light coats with sanding in between each to make it smooth. That thinner way though sounds much easier. I prefer roll on paint because I fell that is just spreads out more even when it's laid down. Gidden semi-gloss I believe is the last paint unused and I was happy with the way it came out.

2001 Saturn L200
-Sony MEX-BT4100P
FRONT STAGE:
- (4) Crescendo PWX 6
- Cadence XA250.2
SUB STAGE:
-Fi Audio BL 15 (Sealed Off)
-Crescendo BC2k
ELECTRICAL:
- Singer 240A alt

- XS Power D3400
- SkyHigh OFC power/speaker wire
- Big 3 with SkyHigh 0gauge
Build Log: Click Here

Scores: 146.5db @ 29hz Outlaw

I always thin it down to make it easier to make smooth and sand between the last cool layers. And a good primer before one final sanding before paint. What kind of finish are you going for?

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Unless you are going to see inside of you rbox, Just put a normal layer of resin down. If you wait until it cures, sand between layers. (should not need more than one layer)

Also, a good paint would be an alkyd (oil) based enamel like rusoleum. Will stick to just about anything. and, it's water resistant.

I always thin it down to make it easier to make smooth and sand between the last cool layers. And a good primer before one final sanding before paint. What kind of finish are you going for?

Something like this. Basic eggshell black

DSCF7093.JPG

Archived