Second Skin Audio

4th order adjustable port help

4bannger

One more thing and sorry for posting twice (editing the post sent me to a weird message box thing) how are 4th orders not good for SUVs from what I have seen most walled suvs are 4th order boxes and they are hitting pretty high numbers. I guess the difference is those boxes they might not be so "musical" and only hit good number on a termlab at certain frequencies.

Usually those 4th orders are with large numbers of drivers and lots of power to make up for the lack of a good enclosure. (or they aren't "musical" even though that is very different between people)

If you want to experiment with 4th orders, then do it, if you want to build something really loud and sound good at the same time ported box is the (easier) way to go.

I don't really design enclosures for other people since I need the car in front of me to do measurements.

I can help you design yours though.

Aim for a good amount of port area,100- 120sq inches of port area.

Model the enclosure for getting a decent peak but not too big (5-6dB) compared to the frequencies you would like to get, you'll probably have to tune around 30Hz if you want to go really low, but you might lose some top end.

What are the specifications on your current box?

Well that makes sense I guess if you throw 10 15s on 30k it's gonna make some sound regardless of the box. My current box is 32x 47x 24 8cuft sealed 8 cuft ported. Space is not really an issue. So when I input the box into winsid the graph should have the smallest peak possible right?

For music you want the graph to have a steady hump but be fairly flat. For burps a box that has a nice peak slightly lower or at resonant freq. Or at least that's what I've read and follow.

after reading the info the boxes I want to build and test will play roughly from 27-28hz up with a peak between 42-45hz outside of the car. Car is a hatchback ford focus so the peak should go up slightly (46-48hz) and I should be good down to 25-27hz. If I'm understanding correctly. Boxes ranging from 6-6.5cuft tuned from 34-35hz port area between 85-105".

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

For port area find out what is recommended by the manufacturer and yes 38-45hz range should be good for spl.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

Don't push much above 2K to the pair, 6.4 cubes net 150 square inches of port area tuned to 40Hz, that will get them loud. amp subsonic filter to 32Hz. Port inner end must be far away from either sub. That tuning is not too nice for rap and the likes kind of stuff so be aware if that.

You take the recommended specs and adjust them for the sound you want. Through testing and rebuilding you optimize the enclosure for what you want and your vehicle.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

Tuning of the port affects the top-end roll-off with no affect to the low-end response for a 4th order bandpass.

Edit: Sorry, I forgotten a lot of this thread. I don't remember if you are still doing 4th order bandpass or a normal vented enclosure.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Well I listen to a lot of rap. So that tuning not being good for rap isn't going to work. So what about 37 or 35 hz?

If you listen to rap and the likes I would stay at 35Hz, 6.4 net 115 square inches of port area.

Archived