mdwerner6942 Posted April 1, 2014 Report Posted April 1, 2014 I am looking at a 18 dual 2 ohm sub, box net 6 cu or little over, just not sure 6" Aero ports are less flexible and more expensive, vs say 4" PVC port etc. I believe Precision port said it takes 3 x 4" ports to improve over one 6" port, and PVC is very inexpensive and easy to adjust as needed. The 6" aero ports that I have are 17" but told only 16" counts due to aero design. Port area needs do I need a specific amount with round ports been told aero it is not as important. I have been looking at Q 18, BL has less Xmax, then there is the Xcon, not sure if I need as much as the Zcon subs offer but SSA and Q have more Xmax than the Bl not sure what the flat coil does if anything to specs. I know guess some do not like ported and like a sealed saying it has a better sq, but I had good luck with a good sub in a ported box and get close to 1 18 ported of others with two woofers in sealed box when tuned right. But guess that could be because of the subs I have had limited experienced too, but all my home speakers are ported and have no complaints of too much boom and always can reduce things but not so easy to increase something that is not there. Sorry if this is a dumb question to more experience box builders, but it something I was wondering about and if a issue, how much guess would be needed in port per sq inch in a round port, be hard to get in the 16 area etc. Guess years of larger subs sort of grew on me, home 12 sub aero port seems to be cool, but ones I had in port through on my truck, was not as good of experience and box sort of lend it's self to work well with a 18 unless this port issue is a issue to help keep piston compression out of the equation.
Krakin Posted April 1, 2014 Report Posted April 1, 2014 Port per cubic foot is not as useful with modern subs with gigantic X-max's. Port area is determined based off of cone area, X-max, and tuning frequency. It doesn't matter whether the sub is in 4 cubes net, or 8 cubes net, it will still need the same amount of port area. You can use this as a quick calculator, or you can get the formulas from the same site. http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31 Krakin's Home Dipole Project http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370 Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist? I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . . What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself but what has drawn your attention in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears, thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.
coh33dkill3r Posted April 1, 2014 Report Posted April 1, 2014 I use 2 6inch aeros that I made from metal for my x18 and it does the job
mdwerner6942 Posted April 1, 2014 Author Report Posted April 1, 2014 Port per cubic foot is not as useful with modern subs with gigantic X-max's. Port area is determined based off of cone area, X-max, and tuning frequency. It doesn't matter whether the sub is in 4 cubes net, or 8 cubes net, it will still need the same amount of port area. You can use this as a quick calculator, or you can get the formulas from the same site. http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31 I will try that again, we had planned on 4 4" round ports or 2 x 6" aero ports, this will help thanks. I was not sure when there before how it worked so will revisit site, been a while since I did this. Now in a small rural town of 6500 there are just no shops like when we lived in Sacramento. 4" would be easier to re tune, 6" aero port come believe 17" long. Not sure if 5 4" which we have pvc, or 2 x 6" aero which I guess you can go a little less with, but if tuned lower 6" harder fit, 17 only 16 is used due to aero from what I read on precision port's site.
ChevyBoy95 Posted April 1, 2014 Report Posted April 1, 2014 I would do 2-3 6" PSP aero ports... yes they are expensive, but they look good, and perform even better, plus if you router out the mounting surface about 1/8", they will sit flush and look really clean. Only thing better on the market in that department is pshycoacoustics aero ports. edit: i have used them and was more than happy with the results..... plus testing has shown that lesser amount of ports you have the better (on the meter generally) iirc. so 2 6" aeros > 4-5 4in PVC tubes Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's] BL : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/
Krakin Posted April 1, 2014 Report Posted April 1, 2014 When building a ported enclosure keep the length of the port 1/12th or smaller than the wavelength that you are tuning to. Once you exceed 1/12th the length the air inside of the port does not act as a single mass and will "lag". With how important port area is to keep from having port noise I would rather stay below 1/12th the length rather than have the larger port. An example oh how to find the maximum length, I would recommend, would be as follows. The speed of sound travels at 1116 ft/s. The frequency you are trying to tune to is 30 Hz. To find the length of this wave you simply divide 1116' by 30 Hz to get 37.2' for one wavelength. To get the length of 1/12th of that you divide 37.2' by 12 to get 3.1' or 37.2". 3.1' is the longest of a port tuned to 30 Hz that I would recommend building. Krakin's Home Dipole Project http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370 Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist? I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . . What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself but what has drawn your attention in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears, thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.
mdwerner6942 Posted April 2, 2014 Author Report Posted April 2, 2014 When building a ported enclosure keep the length of the port 1/12th or smaller than the wavelength that you are tuning to. Once you exceed 1/12th the length the air inside of the port does not act as a single mass and will "lag". With how important port area is to keep from having port noise I would rather stay below 1/12th the length rather than have the larger port. An example oh how to find the maximum length, I would recommend, would be as follows. The speed of sound travels at 1116 ft/s. The frequency you are trying to tune to is 30 Hz. To find the length of this wave you simply divide 1116' by 30 Hz to get 37.2' for one wavelength. To get the length of 1/12th of that you divide 37.2' by 12 to get 3.1' or 37.2". 3.1' is the longest of a port tuned to 30 Hz that I would recommend building. I will keep that in mind, just heard friend has a box 26.5x25x19 with 3 4” ports believe he said 17” long. Subs around .25 or .26 displacement, going to check it out, but all it needs was some cleaning up, cover or painted but son said he used it and it had no leaks, could be safe just re-seal some area paint it, cost would be $30 and some work. Check specs and port length see if I can work with it, .75 MDF - It is not a pre fab. PVC just called and rounded edges, will see. Not sure what the 3.1 or 37.2" reference too total port area like Torres has a total port area which would guess mean a single 6" aero port might work?
mdwerner6942 Posted April 20, 2014 Author Report Posted April 20, 2014 When building a ported enclosure keep the length of the port 1/12th or smaller than the wavelength that you are tuning to. Once you exceed 1/12th the length the air inside of the port does not act as a single mass and will "lag". With how important port area is to keep from having port noise I would rather stay below 1/12th the length rather than have the larger port. An example oh how to find the maximum length, I would recommend, would be as follows. The speed of sound travels at 1116 ft/s. The frequency you are trying to tune to is 30 Hz. To find the length of this wave you simply divide 1116' by 30 Hz to get 37.2' for one wavelength. To get the length of 1/12th of that you divide 37.2' by 12 to get 3.1' or 37.2". 3.1' is the longest of a port tuned to 30 Hz that I would recommend building. I guess 3 -4" aeros 32 Hz area get lag, was not sure how that works saying to stay under 37.2 port area, guess over my head been a while since college etc.
mdwerner6942 Posted April 20, 2014 Author Report Posted April 20, 2014 Port per cubic foot is not as useful with modern subs with gigantic X-max's. Port area is determined based off of cone area, X-max, and tuning frequency. It doesn't matter whether the sub is in 4 cubes net, or 8 cubes net, it will still need the same amount of port area. You can use this as a quick calculator, or you can get the formulas from the same site. http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31 http://www.psychoport.com/ little expensive
john253a Posted April 20, 2014 Report Posted April 20, 2014 Personal I like the fiQ 7.5-8 net With 4off 6" flared aeros At 28-30hz
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.