Bonding ABS and Fiberglass Nigthmare :-(

I'm a quite handy guy when it comes to fabrication with MDF and Fiberglass.

But, this time I went all out and cut my door panels like Steve's Tahoe and made MDF rings.

I watch all his door videos and did like him. Screw the rings, use fabric glue to stick the fleece to the door, then resin.

Every time the fleece came off the door with very little pull. So now I tried sanding the door panel with 100 grid sandpaper, use hot glue on the reverse side of panel and yet again when I cut off the extra fleece off, I was able to pull the glass right off the panel, it only stick to the MDF rings, not the panel.

Panel was washed with water and soap, sanded with a rotax sander using 100 grid paper, polyester resin and allow to dry overnight. Still was easily able to remove next morning.

I need help on how to gat the resin to stick to the ABS door panel !!!!

Is it sanded to rough? Not enough cure time? or resin will never stick to ABS door panels.

By the way it's a 2011 Durango if that influence the kind of plastic.

Thanks in advance !

Most polyester resins will not stick to abs. You need to attach the fleece to the door by other means. Staples around the edges or hot glue and wrap the fleece around to the backside to hold it.

Thanks Guys :-)

I can't actually wrap the fleece around the backside. The 2011+ Durango and GC have kind of a flange around the panel. I can only attach the fleece to the top part of the panel.

I will try the CA glue + staples and hope for the best !

Also, I sand the plastic down with 36 grit first and then prep the surface with acetone to remove any oil or Armor All type of product. It needs to be dried up to adhere well with the glue and eventually the resin that soaks through to it.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all for the help! I got by with a product from ''SEM'', it's called ''Plastic Problem''. It's a 2-parts epoxy that dries in like 15min. First I sanded the surround of the door with 240 grid, then I spread some all around the edge of the door and stretched the fleece and stapled it in place and once the epoxy was dry, I cover the entire fleece with 1 coat of resin and followed with 2 coats of ''Rondo''. all that is left is re-enforcing the interior with chop mat and a LOTS of sanding on top. Will post pics soon !!

also, if you drill a bunch of small holes in the panel. will allow resin to seep through to the backside and you can put some mat back there to connect it.

This always works for me. Those little holes fill up with resin and act like rivets.

This is what I just did. I drilled a bunch of 3/8" holes where I am going to be putting the fiberglass down as a backing.

DSC00685.jpg

Then I flipped it over and used hot glue to attach fiberglass mat to the back to cover the holes.

DSC00686.jpg

Then I added resin to the front with enough to penetrate the holes and soak through the mat on the back.

DSC00687.jpg

DSC00688.jpg

Hope this helps.

2004 Pontiac Vibe Build

Sony MEX-N5000BT

JBL P660C x 2

Sundown Audio Zv4 18

Crescendo BC2000D

Crescendo S800/4

Execution Audio 0 AWG Wire

Sky High Car Audio RCA's

Toolmaker Terminals