DC Sound Lab

difference in stiff and loose spiders

Maybe cause it's not a simply yea or no answer. There's several different scenarios. So instead of cluttering a post with back and forth messages by 2 party's, it's better to talk directly to the person asking the question

Its not clutter, if we are all reading the back-and-forth and learning at the same time.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

I like the one on one with the actual OP, but if anything in the end could one of the DC people post a summery of the differences for the general public?

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Personally I like to build a sub only as stiff as needed to control the cone with the power I plan to throw at it. If you're talking about a sub with a 40 pound plus magnet the electromagnetic dampening of motor + coil will be far more dramatic in determining response than the mechanical dampening.

If you're doing SPL competitions stiffer generally gains, of course with the caveat that you can make a sub stiff enough to jump up and down on without moving and it's not going to be terribly loud on low power.

In short if you're not competing or don't have any other compelling reason don't opt for "extra stiff" suspension since you will lose efficiency, likely raise your peak frequency, and have an overall less musical sub.

a extra spider will add mechanical power handling. (it will not add thermal power handling) There's one of many reasons someone could benefit from a extra spider. Why would you need more mechanical power handling? maybe your over powering the subwoofer, or you have a larger than recommended box size (i suggest fixing the box size as opposed to just adding spiders to compensate) There's also reasons that extra spiders can hurt you so its good to have the details before making a call on if you need a extra spider or if it will hurt you.

DC AUDIO

Phone Number

1(855)SPL-DBZZ

Built by Competitors, for Competitors.