Battery Bank/Amplifier Ground Question

Hello guys/gals,

I'm installing the rest of my electrical in the rear today, which consists of two AGM's and the wiring coming from the 3rd AGM up front. All will be run in parallel. Trying to make it look as nice as possible, while keeping it portable. I have to take my subs and electrical out the car when the boss is in town. I know, it sux... Anyway, my question is this. I have a RF Dist Block, (1) 1/0 in, (2) 1/0 out... I wanted to ground to my original grounding point on the chassis behind my back seat, and also, run a ground wire directly to my negative battery post. So, I will have two ground wires, one coming from NEG battery post, one coming from chassis, into the Distro Box. Then one wire to the Ground on my amplifier, a SoundQubed Q2200.1. My other amp is grounded fine up front, so not worried about that one.

Do I need to fuse the Batt - to Distro block? Or do I keep all ground wires, even coming from battery, non-fused? I know where to put the fuses on the POSITIVE side, all good there. So, I don't think I fuse the grounds, but I want to make sure for peace of mind. I don't need an explosion in the rear of my car! Any help will be appreciated!

2013 Toyota Camry SE

240a MechMan HO Alternator

1/0 Welding Flex Cable Big 3

CT Sounds 4000.1D

Kenwood XR400-4 Mid/High Amp

SoundQubed Q4-120 Mid Amp

Infinity Kappa 6.5 components

Kappa 6x9's for rear deck fill (coming out)

(4) 8" PRV 8MB450's

Set of SoundQubed SuperTweets

(2) DSS Ethos 12's D2's @32.5hz (building 4th order enclosure)

(2) SQ HDC3 10's @ 33.5hz (current build, loving them)

Pioneer AVH-X4600BT

100 sq/ft Stinger RoadKill Sound Deadner

120 sq/ft QMat Sound Deadener

(4) Juice Box Black Cherries

Lots and Lots of feet of SHCA wire, along with 50' of Welding 1/0

2 Runs of 1/0 Positive front to back

ToolMaker Everywhere

Wow I cant believe no1 has replied to this..well if running ground from front battery to back batteries I would suggest a fuse on the wire at the front same size as whatever the power wire is fused with. But as far as fusing from rear battery to a distro block I dont think its necessary..make sure that ground point is free of paint and dirt and no problem.. but what I would do is just give every thing its own ground...

You need trunk space to get groceries and shit...bitches love groceries

Wow I cant believe no1 has replied to this..well if running ground from front battery to back batteries I would suggest a fuse on the wire at the front same size as whatever the power wire is fused with. But as far as fusing from rear battery to a distro block I dont think its necessary..make sure that ground point is free of paint and dirt and no problem.. but what I would do is just give every thing its own ground...

Yeah, i was surprised no one replied to this question. I already finished the project today. I installed the battery bank and and grounded from one of the negative post on rear batteries to chassis and one from negative post directly to amp. I think i'm going to add another ground of the other rear battery to the chassis as well. I suppose you can't have too many grounds.

My voltage has leveled off tremendously since the addition of the two new batteries. Instead of dropping from 13.8 to very low 12's, I'm only dropping about .4 to .5 volts and remaining steady. No big jumps in voltage any more. The problem I've run into now, somewhere I've lost about .4 volts. My idle voltage used to be around 13.8 and now its 13.4-13.5. I hope by adding a couple more grounds up front and in the rear, I can regain the .4 volts I've lost. I hope to run full tilt at 13.2 or higher, which before was unheard of in my vehicle. As mentioned above, I was dropping to 12 volts regularly.... I can't believe (well, I can believe) how much two extra AGM's have helped to steady my voltage drop. I'm loving it!

2013 Toyota Camry SE

CT Sounds 4000.1D

(4) 8" PRV 8MB450's

Pioneer AVH-X4600BT

ToolMaker Everywhere

Hmm I dont think I've ever heard of someone fusing a grounding wire.

I've heard of it one time, where the ground wire actually shorted somehow and with all the current running through that wire, it caught fire. Very rare, but it has happened. It believe it was from a long run off the negative post of the battery to make a ground directly to the amplifier. The power has to go somewhere... Maybe it was a bad battery and caused a serious amperage overload through the system, but anyway, that's why I asked. I was going to run a short, 3 ft ground run from negative post of rear battery directly to amp. I have everything wired now and it sounds great. I went ahead and grounded to the chassis and directly to the amp, from the negative post of one of my rear batteries.

2013 Toyota Camry SE

CT Sounds 4000.1D

(4) 8" PRV 8MB450's

Pioneer AVH-X4600BT

ToolMaker Everywhere

Archived