How does everyone cut wood for boxes?

"For all those using a circular saw + clamp method, might be worth it to rig together something like this. It works great for me and it eliminates having to add your desired cut length + clearance to circular saw blade every time."

A lot of guys in the homebuilding/light commercial trades call that a shoot board. I've trimmed many a wooden door and and kitchen finish panel with a shoot board. Just be aware of a couple of things. Edges on plywood aren't always as straight as you want them and the corners are often not square. Snap a line to make sure that the fence you attach is straight and the resulting cut edge will be straight. Also remember to verify that the edge of your saw base that rides against the fence must be absolutely square to the blade or you will have excessive tear out at the kerf. The saws I used when I was doing that work, I hand trued/filed the bases to ensure squareness and never let any monkey that might alter that relationship use my saw. Highly precise and asthetic work can be and is done on a regular basis without benefit of a cabinet shop saw, you just have to employ the tricks. These are just a few of them.

• 2 months later...

I'll give my 2 cents here, I usually use a table saw to do my precise cutting and use a jig saw to do section cuts on a whole sheet of wood, then use that angle adapter piece (that comes with a table saw) to make uneven cuts into even, and go from there. None of my boxes are ever 100% dead on balls accurate because of the saw blade wobblying about 1/16 of an inch, or off by 1/8 when doing cuts and such. When I see a very small gap, I just spread some filler, sand it smooth, and wrap it. And if I'm doing angles, I get my angle first, then use a router with a flush trim bit to get the second piece even with my first piece. Before I used a table saw, did my boxes with a circular saw, next to a straight wood, and used that as my fence. And sand even the piece I needed to be identical. But can never beat using a table saw for cuts.

How do the Japanese feel about bass?

You know that since 03/11/11

Progene? I just saw that stuff on CNN. They said it makes your junk shrink all up. lol.

im pretty sure the op wont even notice if it gets even smaller.

Refs - Pstone11, porksoda, coleman

I have an outfeed table for my table saw so I can rip cut a 8' sheet pretty easily (everyone should build an outfeed table for their table saw IMHO). For cross cuts I use the circular saw and a clamping straight edge. Here is a tip for people using a circular saw and straight edge, cut a block of wood the same width as from the edge of the blade to the edge of the base on your circular saw. Makes getting the straight edge the proper distance from your cut line really easy.

Also if you don't have a good way to support the sheet while you cut it, get a sheet of 1" foam board insulation, put the insulation on the floor then your sheet on the insulation and cut on that.

When I cut out panels, any that are going to have an exterior edge I cut 1/8" oversize. After everything is glued up I trim the overhang flush with the router.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

also, finding a sheet of mdf that doesnt have even a slight bend to it over its length is almost impossble. So i keep lots of clamps around to pull boards into shape when i pre-drill screw holes and or glue

I use a cheap table saw with a shitty fence, but it locks tight. It's measurements are always off or crooked, so I measure the front and back of the blade at the fence with a tape measure.

And with long pieces I use saw horses to help feed and follow the wood. Works for me

only cutting tools I use is a jig saw and a plunge router...

I cut on the over measured side with my jig saw and use a flush trim and my router when I am all done

you dont know what you are missing with a good circular saw or table saw. Like a hot knife through butter. But the flush trim bit is a good idea.

I use a cheap table saw with a shitty fence, but it locks tight. It's measurements are always off or crooked, so I measure the front and back of the blade at the fence with a tape measure.

And with long pieces I use saw horses to help feed and follow the wood. Works for me

I used to have a table saw with a bad fence like that. If you ever get the chance to upgrade to a saw with a GOOD fence you won't believe how much better it is to use. I'd much rather have a mediocore saw with a good fence than a good saw with a mediocore fence.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

there is a shop over here where you can order the wood with your own dimensions/measurements..so if i have a list of wood required to get me a box done/made i just go to that store and order the wood by the measures i have..

the only thing i need to do is cutting the hole for the sub to get it in..simple as that..

the shop is also called OBI

2010 Chevrolet Cruze

Radio --- pioneer mvh-200vbt

Front/back --- alpine type s 6.5"

Sub Control --- Pac LC1

Sub Amp --- GZPA 1.4K

Sub --- GZNW 15XSPL D1

Battery - GZBP 12.2500X

I have a 20 year old circular saw, gets the job done though.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived