What you wish someone had told you BEFORE you built your first wall.

The stuff pictured is crap. Its a waste of time and materials to "make it just fine with enough epoxy and resin."

I get 5x5 sheets of real Baltic Birch for $36. Sucks I have two half sheets rotting away with other various useable pieces on my patio.

When a guy who I see put up 165's with a pair of 18's tells me that stuff is solid. I'm going to go with that. If you have done testing with this particular material and have some numbers or hard data to back your claim I'm interested to see your results. I planned to use resin between the sheets to bind my layers together and paint the inside with a thick epoxy. This being done either way, this vs. particle board vs. ply vs MDF should make little difference at the end.

I live in a really country area and even the nearest home depot is 70 miles + away. I'm dealing with what the local lumber yard (who delivers) has in stock at a good price.

Count the layers, so fucking sexy.

CAM001321.jpg

If I had access to a good quality plywood for a fair price here I'd probably use that, but I do not. You fancy city folk got things far too easy.

Well I guess we are sorry for giving good advice. Just use OSB and enjoy working with it. :deadhorse:

Well I guess we are sorry for giving good advice. Just use OSB and enjoy working with it. :deadhorse:

So far I like it better than working with MDF.

If it's "good advice" please tell me what testing has been done and where I can see the numbers. So far all that's been said is that it's junk and I should pay triple the money for plywood with an exotic veneer.

I'm open to consideration, but I've seen the results using the advantech. The meter doesn't lie and glass breaking at 64hz isn't because his box is weak. I had another guy who has been involved with many world record SPL builds told me that particle board + resin is very good.

So I tend to question the conventional wisdom thrown around forums by random strangers when it's contradicted by people who I know have actually tested and have results to back up their claims.

He may have put up solid numbers, but he also had to do WAY more work than is required.

Anybody can spend hours on end using resin between shitty particle board sheets. But in the end, its a time vs benefit vs cost thing.

And where you live is not an excuse, its a decision. Get over it.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

Flat out spl isnt about making it sound good or play music or taking into account the acoustical properties of the wood. The wood of an enclosure can and does play into the sound produced. I cant say ive ever built a box out of plywood to say how it sound but ive seen and heard a few that didnt sound very great when you are lookibg at the work factor involved with resin and plywood its going to be higher for one. Workability is going to be lower with the way it chips. And in any car that is considering concrete for sou d dampening and vibration control is probably not a good judge of acoustical properties.either. are you talking aboht perillos van by any chance

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

He may have put up solid numbers, but he also had to do WAY more work than is required.

Anybody can spend hours on end using resin between shitty particle board sheets. But in the end, its a time vs benefit vs cost thing.

And where you live is not an excuse, its a decision. Get over it.

I planned to use multiple layers laminated together with resin regardless of material I used This equals exactly zero more work for me. It was going to be this, ply, or particle board. I do NOT like working with MDF and I am supporting the local lumber yard that delivers by working with what they have in stock.

Flat out spl isnt about making it sound good or play music or taking into account the acoustical properties of the wood. The wood of an enclosure can and does play into the sound produced. I cant say ive ever built a box out of plywood to say how it sound but ive seen and heard a few that didnt sound very great when you are lookibg at the work factor involved with resin and plywood its going to be higher for one. Workability is going to be lower with the way it chips. And in any car that is considering concrete for sou d dampening and vibration control is probably not a good judge of acoustical properties.either. are you talking aboht perillos van by any chance

Don't know what they used in the T3 van, but Team Renots Keith told me he uses advantech. His Jeep and Accura speak for themselves. The Jeep is straight burp only but the Accura plays music and is a daily driver.

Shocker Mike has actually done testing of identical boxes MDF and particle board. After resin (again which I was going to do either way) they metered the same, though the MDF had a big edge before the resin.

I've seen plenty of MDF boxes that aren't thick enough or properly braced sound terrible. The goal of SPL box is pretty much the same as a good music box. You want it to be solid and not flex period. What else am I missing? We're not talking about building a guitar where you WANT the wood to have a resonance to add to the sound, you want completely inert.

Again, barring any hard data or someone to chime in who has actual experience I'm going to trust those with experience on this one.

Just like you said, the goal is for the wood to be inert. MDF is tiny particles densely packed and glued together. HDF is even better for speaker enclosures, but is rarely used because it is cost prohibitive. Plywood is chunks of wood right from the tree, with pores and cellular structures like living things have. MDF is simply denser wood, and that is why everyone everywhere since the beginning of time uses MDF for speaker boxes.

Yes, you can use plywood, and resin it and brace it and make it work. MDF is simply superior to plywood.

Archived