Jump to content

head unit stolen


Recommended Posts

Posted

In st. Louis for sons heart surgery and when he got out of the hospital we took him to the zoo. Parked in forest park by the ranger station and some ass hole smashes in my window, somehow got it into neutral or reverse (car was moved back a bit and you need to move the shifter to get dash panel off) and tears open my dash pretty good and steals my pioneer deh80prs and unactivated cell phone I was using as GPS. Now I have to drive home for 5 hours+ like this. Called police and they got finger prints. I WILL be driving back to press charges if they find the guy. Took the mounting bracket bent open the door real good (idiot doesnt know how to break a window I guess) fucked up all the wiring real bad. Real slop job with a crowbar it looks like. Even the rcas looked messed up at the ends I'm probably gonna have to run new ones. Police said I was the second person that night he knew of.

How in the hell did they shift the car without breaking the shifter or lock cylinder? Bump key maybe? The rest of it was so sloppy though it's all tore up. I bet they damaged the head unit pretty good getting it out. The mounting bracket was snapped out not unscrewed and its only 2 bolts! Couldn't steal my huge ass ported 18, ppi pc amps, focal speakers, etc. Idiot stole the cheapest part and a garbage virgin mobile cell phone you can't even activate because I had a custom os on it. I bet this idiot does even know how nice that head unit is and its going to end up in some garbage system now.

Is there anything else I should do? What should I do different when I fix everything? Mount head unit in center console where you can't see it and leave the dash like that so it looks like it's already been stolen?

This is so unbelievably frustrating. I guess people still steal those and having out of state plates makes it tempting. Will post more when I get home I'm on a kindle and its not the easiest to type on for me.

Posted

a guy i kow threw it in his center console and glassed his voltmeters temp gauges etc into the radio spot so it was clean and they like where the fuck is the hu and then they never break into the car because they dont know how long it would take to get the headunit found and taken out

Posted

Some cars have a small release button that let's you shift the car out of parking usually has a small cover and you take that off and just press it and then move the shifter. What car?

Posted

Some cars have a small release button that let's you shift the car out of parking usually has a small cover and you take that off and just press it and then move the shifter. What car?

Yep. For maintenance and towing.

SMD Super Seller


My Feedback Thread

Posted

Some cars have a small release button that let's you shift the car out of parking usually has a small cover and you take that off and just press it and then move the shifter. What car?

My car has one of these, I don't think you even need a key really. Just a little turn and it unlocks the shifter

Thanks alaskanzx5 I might just do that
I can recone a sub myself. About a year ago I took 2 12" power acoustic mofos and made one sub. I took the magnet and the motor off of one and j b welded it to the other motor and magnet. I had to wind my own voice coil so it would work. After I was done hooked up to 2 boss 5000w amps. And shattered my back and all my side windows

came to this thread to recommend soundqubed and ct sounds. OP goes with soundstream.

oh lawd.

Posted

Some cars have a small release button that let's you shift the car out of parking usually has a small cover and you take that off and just press it and then move the shifter. What car?

My car has one of these, I don't think you even need a key really. Just a little turn and it unlocks the shifter
sometimes useful sometimes they can ruin you . Most cars have them to be easily accessible most likely what happened here
Posted

Yeah I had a Volvo with one of those shiftlock release buttons, it was clearly labeled and everything. Its a Jeep Cherokee (XJ) and it doesn't have one that I know of but maybe it does. Maybe he put the transfer case in neutral? Pretty tough to do while parked but maybe you could if you pulled hard enough. I never really tried. why would he shift it back to 2wd when he left though? The parking brake was on which wasn't on when I left it. He rolled it back about a parking space. I tested the 4wd and everything out and he didn't fuck any of that up luckily.

I am heading out to the junkyard today, Im hoping I can find a new glass piece already tinted. It was a factory tint job so a matching piece may not be hard to come by. Or at least get the glass piece and have it tinted. Someone online said safelite quoted them 309! WTF! In this picture you can see what piece of glass I am talking about, its that small rear piece that doesn't match.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/attachments/f2/13338d1267056663t-installing-new-vent-window-2001-xj-after-lift-002.jpg

So many things about this confuse me. I seriously doubt he recognized the model from outside the Jeep. You would think a theif would look at it and think "Not touchscreen/nav - not worth stealing" and why you would rip at the wiring like that when its so easy to just unplug. Anyway I got the dash fixed up pretty decently. I'll probably get a new trim piece at the junkyard too because it's got a big dent in it now but it still functions. It seems like the only thing im not going to be able to fix is the huge scratch down my door. I got it bent back into shape though. It's gonna be a few paychecks before I can get a new head unit though. I love being surrounded in great speakers I can't listen to :angry22:

shopping list: Glass, trim piece, rubber gasket for glass, head unit fit kit, head unit, new run of rcas possibly. Not cheap.

Man what an asshole though. In the backseat is a car seat for a kid and a bunch of stuff from the childrens hospital. There was a lot of medication in the car too that he didn't steal which im surprised about because some of it was pain meds. How do you steal from someones car like that? It's like he is thinking fuck this guy and fuck his kid let him sit in broken glass. I agree with chopping off his hand AND his dick.

Posted

well i fixed everything up with parts at the junkyard. extremley cheap and looks great besides the scratch. got a new 80prs on the credit card. there was nothing on it anyway. still a pain in the ass. Getting that glass out without being able to roll the window down was a huge pain in the ass.Got new trim pieces and everything though.

Posted

Glad you got some stuff sorted out. Nothing worse than a thief.

Thanks alaskanzx5 I might just do that
I can recone a sub myself. About a year ago I took 2 12" power acoustic mofos and made one sub. I took the magnet and the motor off of one and j b welded it to the other motor and magnet. I had to wind my own voice coil so it would work. After I was done hooked up to 2 boss 5000w amps. And shattered my back and all my side windows

came to this thread to recommend soundqubed and ct sounds. OP goes with soundstream.

oh lawd.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1389 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...