Bad day turns worse....

So, I just finished crimping all my wires with my new hydraulic crimper and got my group 31 rear batt hooked up, getting ready to connect the front battery and dropped the screw for the neg terminal for my XS front batt into no-man's land near the wheel well. Tried to go through the bottom, no luck.

I figured easy fix, ran up to store and picked up a bolt that I THOUGHT was the right size......BIG MISTAKE! The bolt started going in by hand, tightened a little bit with the socket wrench and realized it wasn't going down further so I started to unscrew and the top ofthe bolt broke off! I tried to use a pliers, squeezing the life out of it and even tried hammering a slit in the top so I could maybe get it out with a flat head....no go.

Any ideas of how I could get this thing out without destroying the battery hoping that the threads on the battery aren't already destroyed?

Singer Alternators

Team Asshole

#anothershittysingerbuild

I broke a bolt off in a batt before and I just use vise grips and tighten the ever-lovin out of them. If you have to use a pair of chanel locks or something to close them so you know that they are REALLY tight.

Use a left hand twist drill hopefully grabs pull out.if not the hole will be there for a bolt extractor.make sure to lightly tap a center punch for drill bit so it won't walk on you.start with a small bit work up.worse case scenario try drill out big enough to retap it and hope it catches the same threads.if you are not skilled take to a machine shop .good luck.

I broke a bolt off in a batt before and I just use vise grips and tighten the ever-lovin out of them. If you have to use a pair of chanel locks or something to close them so you know that they are REALLY tight.

Just with the pliers I was using, all it was doing was shaving the metal off the bolt....thanks though!

Singer Alternators

Team Asshole

I would do vicegrips. if that don't work do the easy out bit.

On 3/28/2014 at 4:22 PM, KyLar96 said:

Its all about the music anyway..... Do a proper install, something your happy with, Fuck everyone else...... improve in time, where you can..... its not rocket science...

Tiburon build //www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174059-97-hyundai-tiburon-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-slow-5k-build/

2000 Mountaineer build http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186736-2000-mountaineer-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-part-iislow-5k-builddc-audio-americanbassxspowersingerarcaudiostingershcavideo-on-pg7/

2000 Mercury Mountaineer: Electrical:Singer 360 hairpin powdercoated white alt, Big 4 double run 1/0 SHCA OFC, 4 runs 1/0 OFC SHCA, limitless 70ah, HU: Pioneer deh80prs interiors: Skar sk85.4 on sb acoustics neo dome tweeters 2 Mmats sq4100s on 4 silver flute 8s(4ohm) SUB Stage: 3 DC5K [email protected] on 6 ascendant audio mayhem 12s d1.4s fully loaded

Just with the pliers I was using, all it was doing was shaving the metal off the bolt....thanks though!

Exactly. Pliers slip and you can't get a nice solid grip. That is why you use vice grips and get them as tight as possible. They lock themselves into the metal. It has worked for me on removing bolts a million and one times.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought the retractor bit but still haven't got around to messing with it (been busy).....I had a spare yellow top in my garage that I threw in so I could get to work that day after but took that out within a day (noticeable difference with just starting my car let alone turning the volume up a little!). I picked up a rebranded deka (Super Start) and it runs like a champ! The XS is about 4 years old so I didn't mind dishing out a little cash for a new batt up front.

I'll keep you guys updated!

Singer Alternators

Team Asshole

Wanna send that old ass d3100 to me? I'll cover shipping ;-)

2000 Toyota Camry With Sealed Off Trunk

Sky High OFC Wiring

DC Power 270 XP Alt

AQ 2200 Sub Amp

Two DC Level 4 m2 12s

80 Mil Murdetmat

Gathering Parts For Wall Build.

Team DC Audio 2014 Member

Archived