Second Skin Audio

Cheap cheap subs went from sealed boz to ported 36 hertz.. no increase??

Tuning may be off. That's all I can think of.

i put the box and port numbers in the RE calc and in the Torres calc. they were almost exactly the same to my surprise. Doesnt necessarily mean that the numbers are correct though.

To your ear?

or meter?

purely ear. i notice that theres more pressure in the cabin (like rearview shakes just a bit more), but sounds almost the exact same as before.

Those pyramid super blues needed 2cuft sealed. Iirc. Good luck building a ported enclosure for them I would bet 3cubes per sub at least.

damn, didnt know they needed enclosures that big. i cant seem to find actual figures to make my own box with one of the calcs though. or will using the T/S parameters give me the "perfect" space for them? im a noob when it comes to this obviously, but i learn quick. its amazing they even still work after all these years lol. originally paid $100 for the pair back in like '98 or '99

If Morgan Freeman narrated a story on how great AIDS is, I would be captivated and tempted to contract it myself. His voice just fills my soul with warm fuzzies and puppy tears.

He has NO idea and may have a touch of autism to be honest.

Is this guy real or is he joking? i actually mistook him for a lesbian in that demo video

Wanted to mess around with a box for the garage. Was thinking 4 6x9 in 4 cube at like 30 hz...

These are the things that make me lol

Ported doesn't mean louder. Lower tuning yields a lower increase in output. Considering it's tuned on the lower side you may yield a 1-2 DB gain. Unless you have an spl meter there's no way to tell unless you're a wild cat of some sort. Also considering tuning to 36hz has about the same roll off as a sealed enclosure the response would be nearly identical.

you can definitely tell a 1-2 dB increase.....

so you can hear the difference of 500 watts and 700 watts?

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

So like I said, based off of a kicker box. Which, has no extra time or extra work put in to the port. They suck, end of story. Invest the time and minimal amount of money and take the slight challenge to build a box made for those subs.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Tuning may be off. That's all I can think of.

i put the box and port numbers in the RE calc and in the Torres calc. they were almost exactly the same to my surprise. Doesnt necessarily mean that the numbers are correct though.

To your ear?

or meter?

purely ear. i notice that theres more pressure in the cabin (like rearview shakes just a bit more), but sounds almost the exact same as before.

Those pyramid super blues needed 2cuft sealed. Iirc. Good luck building a ported enclosure for them I would bet 3cubes per sub at least.

damn, didnt know they needed enclosures that big. i cant seem to find actual figures to make my own box with one of the calcs though. or will using the T/S parameters give me the "perfect" space for them? im a noob when it comes to this obviously, but i learn quick. its amazing they even still work after all these years lol. originally paid $100 for the pair back in like '98 or '99

I had a pair of 10s and I think ported was about 2 to 2.5 each. You have to remember before the solobarics came along a 12 in a 2 cube sealed box was very common.

So what figures do I need to make the best box for these particular subs? And what program? As always, thanks for the help guys.

If Morgan Freeman narrated a story on how great AIDS is, I would be captivated and tempted to contract it myself. His voice just fills my soul with warm fuzzies and puppy tears.

Is this guy real or is he joking? i actually mistook him for a lesbian in that demo video

Wanted to mess around with a box for the garage. Was thinking 4 6x9 in 4 cube at like 30 hz...

Those Super Blue subs have a high EBP of 85.8, suggesting they are in fact better suited for ported enclosures, not to mention they have next to no cone travel with a mere 4.6mm Xmax, so moving a lot of air is not going to be an easy task for them, especially sealed.

Plugging in their T/S Parameters into WinISD, it would appear a 3cuft enclosure tuned to 36Hz is about ideal. Response curve looks fairly flat down to 55Hz and then begins to drop off. F3 looks to be 40Hz when tuned to 36Hz (LOL)

Pyramid's specs claim they are rated for 300RMS each, so I'd imagine 150RMS in real world power (300RMS for the pair). Looks like they plot at hitting 121dB before accounting for cabin gain and whatnot if fed 300rMS for the pair.

Damn, that's a lot of info lol. Thank u for your time in doing all the research and number plugging. If u could send me a PM I would greatly appreciate it. Once again, thanks everyone for ur input, opinions, and thoughts.

Archived