Refurbing an old school classic Precision Power PPI Art Series A404

Wicks

Bad ass. Love those amps

Want to do mine next LOL

Thats cool. Im way too old to be upset by shit like that. Your name is winston. Your own parents hated you even before you were born.

My penis is bigger than your penis

I'm far from loud and my roof/headliner flaps around like Adam's ass on a windy day. I think it depends more on the structure of the vehicle.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is awesome work as usual!

Hey this reminds me, I recently picked up an old punch 200DSM, wanted to see about sending your way for some treatment?
Or at least getting some direction when doing it myself? Pretty sure it's the exact same as the one you did.

Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback

Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's

Solo X 15 (v.2) Sub Build

Bad ass. Love those amps

Want to do mine next LOL

Me too! Brings back some memories. MAN...I wanted one back in the day. Its fun having a few of them now ;)

Your A200?

Hmmm, It'd have a lot less parts to do then this one... :D

That is awesome work as usual!

Hey this reminds me, I recently picked up an old punch 200DSM, wanted to see about sending your way for some treatment?

Or at least getting some direction when doing it myself? Pretty sure it's the exact same as the one you did.

Thanks Dude! :drinks: Just saw your Fosgate sub that you redid, awesome as well!

Mmmmmmmmm, I love those 200DSM's.

I've already done mine so doing the same to a second would be easy.

Either way, sure I can help. If you want to do it, I'm sure I can throw together a parts list of just what you need.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

Here are the "plugs" that PPI used to allow for easier install and removal. Notice how dirty the connection posts are. That will need some cleaning.

14-refurb_zps58b16dab.jpg

Pulling the electrolytic capacitors

15-refurb_zps32e00951.jpg

Tested the capacitors on an LCR meter to look at their condition. Still in spec and not too bad. These are the 12V input caps which smooth the B+ voltage coming into the amp. Notice PPI used 50V caps. Over rating the caps is a good idea but overrating them by 35V is excessive. I can replace them with 25V caps which will allow me to increase the amount of capacitance at the input :D

16-captest_zps40ed85c0.jpg

Here are the power rail caps. Interestingly PPI used the same value of cap for this part of the circuit. I would guess that both are compatible in each circuit and by using the same cap, PPI would be purchasing more of the same part which would lower their costs.

17-captest_zps0895eeb7.jpg

Here is my replacement for the 12V caps. I chose Panasonic 2700uF 25V caps. Still plenty of voltage rating (2x) with an increase in capacitance of 2.7x and a reduction of ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance) by 1/3. :woot:

18-captest_zpsf6717add.jpg

My selection for the power rail caps. Panasonic 1000uF 50V caps. Same value as before but you can see that the new caps do have more capacitance (987uF vs 826uF), a better Dissipation Factor and a much better ESR. A lower ESR will cause less internal heating to the cap and better release of current. Also a longer life due to less heating.

19-captest_zps07e821d9.jpg

Ready for FET removal.

20-remove_zps853e8bc2.jpg

Best way to remove the output transistors...just clip them off. ;)

21-remove_zps5336cde0.jpg

All outside FETs/transistors removed

22-removed_zpsac9061ae.jpg

That was a popular amp back then, I cant even guess at how many i installed

DC AUDIO

Phone Number

1(855)SPL-DBZZ

Built by Competitors, for Competitors.

Here are the "plugs" that PPI used to allow for easier install and removal. Notice how dirty the connection posts are. That will need some cleaning.

Pulling the electrolytic capacitors

Tested the capacitors on an LCR meter to look at their condition. Still in spec and not too bad. These are the 12V input caps which smooth the B+ voltage coming into the amp. Notice PPI used 50V caps. Over rating the caps is a good idea but overrating them by 35V is excessive. I can replace them with 25V caps which will allow me to increase the amount of capacitance at the input :D

Here are the power rail caps. Interestingly PPI used the same value of cap for this part of the circuit. I would guess that both are compatible in each circuit and by using the same cap, PPI would be purchasing more of the same part which would lower their costs.

Here is my replacement for the 12V caps. I chose Panasonic 2700uF 25V caps. Still plenty of voltage rating (2x) with an increase in capacitance of 2.7x and a reduction of ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance) by 1/3. :woot:

My selection for the power rail caps. Panasonic 1000uF 50V caps. Same value as before but you can see that the new caps do have more capacitance (987uF vs 826uF), a better Dissipation Factor and a much better ESR. A lower ESR will cause less internal heating to the cap and better release of current. Also a longer life due to less heating.

Ready for FET removal.

Best way to remove the output transistors...just clip them off. ;)

All outside FETs/transistors removed

That was a popular amp back then, I cant even guess at how many i installed

Hey Rusty!

Yep, I LOVE these amps back in the day.

Some of the best looking amps ever.

:drinks:

Stay tuned. I may have some more show up in my build... ;)

2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

Wow. Great job man. I am seriously impressed by both the amp and your work.

Want to do a sequel thread with the next PPI amp series with my PC21400 and PC2300 chrome editions? I am thinking of having this done because I don't trust myself enough to work on an amp that nice and it seems like a good idea. I would pay you obviously.

Wow. Great job man. I am seriously impressed by both the amp and your work.

Want to do a sequel thread with the next PPI amp series with my PC21400 and PC2300 chrome editions? I am thinking of having this done because I don't trust myself enough to work on an amp that nice and it seems like a good idea. I would pay you obviously.

Thanks Man.

Hmm I've never worked on the PC series...

They're older but not that old. Do they still work? Why do you want to refurb them! Just to refresh them?

2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

SOTM BUILD:

Yeah they both work great. The 2300 had the box, paperwork, and everything! I Just wanted to get them refreshed. Then like you found there are newer opamps and such you can use to make it better! I think the opamps you used are the same ones I put in my PC's soundcard actually.

EDIT: These pics aren't mine but this is whats inside.

inside1.jpg

inside2.jpg

inside3.jpg

That fan should probably even be replaced.

inside1.jpg

inside2.jpg

inside3.jpg

• 9 months later...

Archived