Sonic Electronix

FLAC and WAV will be lossless, however, I have a few folders that are well over 10 GB for those.

MP3 320 Kbps is great for space saving, however, cuts out low dB noises and makes the songs sound more digital IMO.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

I've tried AAC it a lil bit bigger file than an mp3 320 file

Haven't tested it much but it's a lil bit more brighter(at least to me). Also when you purchased a song from iTunes it comes in AAC format

If file size is an issue than I would just go with mp3 at 320k

Also you can format it to each type and take a listen

Maybe you'll be able to notice a difference or you won't (plus it won't cost a penny to test it out)

Might be one that you like better than the other

That's odd, I always understood that higher frequencies are what's cut first when compressing audio, not the lows. I have most of my audio stored as 320kbps MP3's, can't say as I have ever had any issue with noticing loss of lows. Granted, I can't cay "I" personally hear a difference between it and uncompressed audio formats.

Now I have used high compression lossy formats before, worse was 128kbps MP3 years ago when I first got into using MP3 loaded discs. Still not so sure there was all that much reduction in the lows on much of it, but the highs were noticeably lacking. I ended up switching to 192kbps WMA and then a few years back I switch yet again to 320kbps MP3 as the stereo I switched to didn't support WMA.

I meant low as in quiet sounds haha, and yes the high frequency sounds get cut fast too.

Also, if you want to try out the different files you need to start with a lossless codec first.

Going from MP3 to FLAC will change nothing, the opposite is a big change.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

I prefer FLAC, but yes, they are going to be large files because they are exact copies of the original. I also can't say that I hear the difference between lossless and lossy, but the cost of hard drive space is so cheap now, and music is so important to me, why not just make the best copy I can? MP3 with a CBR of 320kbps is my second preferred format. But that's my personal preference.

If disk space is your largest concern, you can always choose MP3 with a VBR... -V0 or -V2. The difference is that the bitrate is not constant, it fluctuates when you don't need the highest bitrate to save space. Reviews are that it CAN be just as good as CBR320, but overall it's not quite as good. Just do a little research on Google, there are so many articles out there.

Everyone will have their own preference. Also note that, depending on the priority for you, that not all formats are compatible with some mobile phones and music management systems... such as FLAC is not supported by iTunes and the iPhone... you CAN upload FLAC to Google's Play music but it converts it to 320.

Not sure what source unit you normally run, but I use the Kenwood DNX9980HD headunit.

With that unit, I've found that running Windows media lossless seems to work best for me and not have to download a bunch of different stuff to my already cluttered up computer. Just running the simple windows media program and having a larger jump drive works really well with the Kenwood headuint for well recorded audio and video ...

Now for Sound Quality competition, there is NOTHING better that a VERY well recorded "company built" CD.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Archived