Car leaked oil and now my engine knocks...

Also it appears to be coming from the top of the engine

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

Could be a stuck lifter then. What oil weight do you run right now?

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Little trick if you don't have a stethoscope: Grab a socket extension, press it to a part of the engine, ear next to the other end. See if you can narrow down where the noise is coming from

well, normally a tap is from top engine and a knock is bottom engine, but all these modern engines sound kinda hollow anyway. Could be hard to tell unless you do like snowdrifter said

Little trick if you don't have a stethoscope: Grab a socket extension, press it to a part of the engine, ear next to the other end. See if you can narrow down where the noise is coming from

X2 you can also use a long screwdriver.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

If you dont use premium already, try a fillup with 93 or 91, whatever you got there.

Since Duck wants to get all technical, a true knock is a combustion related issue, not a mechanical one. Also known as pre-detonantion. Higher octane fuels can sometimes cure this.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

I would say a lifter tick. If you do 7 passes and that long of a drive without noticing any noise, chances are you pushed any oil that was equal to or above the rear main seal level out and that is why you didn't notice a leak before doing the drive and passes. It's possible you just have a stuck lifter. I would do the rear main, fill it up with an oil a weight above, and see if the noise is still there. Possible if you have a timing chain, one of the tensioners, guides, etc ran a little dry and ate up a bit of the sprocket teeth and/or a bit of chain causing a little slack resulting in the chatter you hear. One person mentioned running a synthetic blend, that wouldn't be a bad idea IF you already run synthetic. Switching over on a motor that is used to conventional after such a long time can cause more harm then good. Only time I run synthetic is if I rebuild a motor. Conv for a few thousand miles for break in, then switch to synthetic right away. Just my .02 cents though. Best of luck!

Archived