Car leaked oil and now my engine knocks...

Long story short my car appears to have a leak at the rear main seal. Even worse I didn't notice until my car was pretty much run dry of oil. So now it knocks...

Anyone know what I broke? The knock is pretty severe when started for about a second then it pretty much goes silent. Once the car warms up though the knock comes back so that it is audible but not as bad as when it is started

So basically when there isn't a good thick layer of oil it makes noise. What did I fuck up?

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

Sticking lifter/valve. You can try to sea foam it, but i'd fix that rear seal first.

Indeed that is the plan.

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

Rod bearings most likely. Not too cheap of fix either if u do it the right way. Sorry to hear.

2003 GMC Yukon Denali

Alpine CDA 117

Redoing Mids/Highs

4 Runs of 1/0 Knukonceptz 2+, 2-

4 Deka 9A31's in back (Stock underhood) 250 amp Alt.

AQ20K

2 18" Crossfire XS V.2's 12 cubes 33hz 149sq inches of port!

Pretty much anything that depends on oil for lubrication

High load stuff that would usually see the most damage would be your bearings that are in one way or another connected to your pistons.

Then there are things like your piston rings, valve train, timing chain (if your car has one), oil pump. But it's really tough to say

Short of a new engine, what I would do is get your oil pressure tested. Either do it yourself or have a shop do it. Basically they unscrew the oil pressure sending unit and screw in one of their gauges. Start the car, test it at idle and X RPMS and cross reference that w/ your vehicle's spec. From there you might try a thicker oil (may take some testing and experimenting to find the viscosity that bring it within spec)

Mind that this isn't a fix by any means. But if your bearing tolerances have increased to the point where the oil you use is no longer providing the cushion needed, this will limp you along and aid in preventing further engine damage.

IMO I'd do this ASAP since you said your vehicle is still knocking - that means there is still damage being done. Oh... And if you aren't already, run synthetic. It has a higher film strength and will again, help give you more time before your engine ultimately grenades. Tough to say by how much though

its knocking cause of low initial oil pressure due to the leak it takes longer to build pressure

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

This is why you pay attention underneath where you park and check your oil more frequently.

Sucks though man

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

This is why you pay attention underneath where you park and check your oil more frequently.

Sucks though man

Im in a a parking garage in a city with shit cars. Every spot has oil spots lol

Ken presumably very hard. I noticed my car was leaking something a while ago but just thought it was coolant. after a few days the leaking stopped, or so I thought. After that point I did go to the drag strip and ran 7 1/8th mile passes and then a few days later drove it an hour to my parents house and then an hour back.

So yeah probably quite hard. There was no knock however until the day after I got back from my parents house. I filled it up with oil immediately and have been driving it very carefully since

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

I agree with Orion it's not necessarily a worst case scenario here. How long did it go without oil and can you tell what area the knock is coming from? Also is this on the magnum in your Sig or another vehicle and also what engine?

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived