bkolfo4 Posted July 16, 2014 Report Posted July 16, 2014 Great Info. So that is why most people will lean more towards having a higher port area per cube right? What is the most sq inches per cube that you have used, ever gone over 16?Let me say one more time - port area per cube is irrelevant [PERIOD]My suburban was 75 sqin per sub with 15" BTLs. I ran my RE MT 18's with over 150 sqin per sub. Then you have people like PSi running a pair of RE MT 15's with a total of 48 sqin of aero's doing 154's. Current system: 1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s Previous systems: 2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz. 1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.
Robert8252 Posted July 16, 2014 Report Posted July 16, 2014 I ran 20 per cube on a 12" DC XL and had no problems for a daily beater. Built it for the vehicle response I was getting and tuned at 38 I could play down to 30 without loading issues. Car peaked really low on its own and had a sharp cutoff above 42-44hz. It was also the loudest and flattest box I had with that sub. I believe I made 5 or 6 boxes before I got one that was worth a damn. 2013 F150 Crew Cab Old Build Log Feedback 2013 F150 Equipment - Some Awesome Stereo Sound Making Stuff
Kyblack76 Posted July 16, 2014 Report Posted July 16, 2014 .35 and .7 is DCR, so don't confuse that with impedance. Did you measure the actual difference in power between those 2 amp setups? Let's say you doubled the power, you would be doing good to gain 2-2.5 dB at those levels. And I seriously doubt you doubled the power. . . People don't understand what it takes to go from 155 to 157 dB. I would laugh when people would say they could not believe my suburban only did a 157.X with 4 15's. For a C-Pilar wall in a suburban tuned to 34 Hz peaking at 37 Hz, I thought it was pretty darn good. . . Thanks bro. Maybe im pipedreaming. And, i understand the dcr vs impedance. I ran a signal generator on the subs/enclosure also. I just ASSUMED the added violence i saw, i would expect more than 2 tents. I mean, shit, i could probably have shut the vents and gained that. I will be throwing a 6500 on each sub here soon. I just go to my port area, because i now im low... well, i think i am. Around 200 last math i did...... Thanks for the support yo. Youve always done me fine...... SMD SUPER SELLER The Burban Build Blazer Build sold Acura trunk build sold
Krakin Posted July 16, 2014 Report Posted July 16, 2014 Krakin, just out of curiosity, what kind of number do you prefer to try to maintain for rear port velocity? I, with any modeling Ive recently been doing, shoot to stay below 110ft/sec. I was just curious if by chance stumbled across a given number that seems to consistently yield good results? That question asked, I know there probably is no ideal number simply because there is no end to the list of variables. I have not been able to get much first hand experience with different port velocities, but as of now I suggest 10-15 m/sec for general all application building (including home). I would assume you can go higher in car audio as the cabin gain will make it less noticeable. I have kind of reached a limit on my ability to suggest as I haven't been able to try everything I would like to in testing, my current project is taking up all of my time when I decide to do audio, plus I don't have to deal with ports in it so +1 for that. Edit: One reason I am so hesitant in offering exact advice for people's builds is because there is always much testing to do and another because I'm not there to make sure it goes down correctly, because I know that I am weak in communicating some of my ideas. Krakin's Home Dipole Project http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370 Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist? I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . . What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself but what has drawn your attention in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears, thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.
gckless Posted July 16, 2014 Report Posted July 16, 2014 Just wanna throw this into this discussion, which seems to be a pretty good one so far: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/188594-you-may-be-kerfing-all-wrong/ "Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand. My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/ High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography
Krakin Posted July 16, 2014 Report Posted July 16, 2014 ^^ I really liked that read. Krakin's Home Dipole Project http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370 Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist? I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . . What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself but what has drawn your attention in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears, thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.