Sundown Audio

Need help strapping (2) AQ 2200s

Swampy

20140717_152355_resized_zpsa50e8f0d.jpg

just fyi, this is how the amp came out of the box looking. its pretty obvious that it took a pretty solid hit.

That sux man! Just make sure on the slave amp to turn the gain, sub sonic, and boost all the way down (to the left), make sure the slave is in "slave" mode. Connect the single RCA connector to both amps on the back side of the amps. Then, connect Power, Ground, and remote.

Now here is the really important part, wire with 8ga wire, both your negative speaker outs on the slave to the negatives on the Master. Then you hook up your subs using the Negative wire of your subs to the Positive speaker output on your slave amp. Then hook your positive sub wire to the Positive speaker outputs on the Master amp. Be sure to check your impedance, (as I didn't last weekend), and then power them up. I had my wiring backwards and the Q2200's DEFINITELY DON'T LIKE .5ohm strapped! LOL... Glad it didn't fry the amps. Went straight to protect thank gawd!!!

Got my wiring correct 5 minutes later and was banging at 2ohms... Just take your time wiring the speaker outputs, as to not get them mixed up...

2013 Toyota Camry SE

240a MechMan HO Alternator

1/0 Welding Flex Cable Big 3

CT Sounds 4000.1D

Kenwood XR400-4 Mid/High Amp

SoundQubed Q4-120 Mid Amp

Infinity Kappa 6.5 components

Kappa 6x9's for rear deck fill (coming out)

(4) 8" PRV 8MB450's

Set of SoundQubed SuperTweets

(2) DSS Ethos 12's D2's @32.5hz (building 4th order enclosure)

(2) SQ HDC3 10's @ 33.5hz (current build, loving them)

Pioneer AVH-X4600BT

100 sq/ft Stinger RoadKill Sound Deadner

120 sq/ft QMat Sound Deadener

(4) Juice Box Black Cherries

Lots and Lots of feet of SHCA wire, along with 50' of Welding 1/0

2 Runs of 1/0 Positive front to back

ToolMaker Everywhere

on the damaged amp, as long as the single RCA input that is by itself still is ok, you can strap them. That is how the slave gets input.

14685462034_c893d4da14_o.jpg

oh wait, i just now read as long as the single RCA input that is by itself. i understand completely man, thanks a lot for the help.

Nice drawing by the way... Didn't want to steal your thunder, but I wanted to make it clear about how to wire at the speaker outputs...

2013 Toyota Camry SE

CT Sounds 4000.1D

(4) 8" PRV 8MB450's

Pioneer AVH-X4600BT

ToolMaker Everywhere

20140717_152355_resized_zpsa50e8f0d.jpg

just fyi, this is how the amp came out of the box looking. its pretty obvious that it took a pretty solid hit.

That sux man! Just make sure on the slave amp to turn the gain, sub sonic, and boost all the way down (to the left), make sure the slave is in "slave" mode. Connect the single RCA connector to both amps on the back side of the amps. Then, connect Power, Ground, and remote.

Now here is the really important part, wire with 8ga wire, both your negative speaker outs on the slave to the negatives on the Master. Then you hook up your subs using the Negative wire of your subs to the Positive speaker output on your slave amp. Then hook your positive sub wire to the Positive speaker outputs on the Master amp. Be sure to check your impedance, (as I didn't last weekend), and then power them up. I had my wiring backwards and the Q2200's DEFINITELY DON'T LIKE .5ohm strapped! LOL... Glad it didn't fry the amps. Went straight to protect thank gawd!!!

Got my wiring correct 5 minutes later and was banging at 2ohms... Just take your time wiring the speaker outputs, as to not get them mixed up...

thanks a lot man, that was also really helpful.

I don't claim to know how to solve anything, I just practice the basics. There is nothing worse than wasting hours over a problem that should have taken 5 mins. Anything I post and claim to know, I know simply because of a lesson learned from a mistake on my part.

you good dharrris, help is help.

Is the damaged one under warranty?

But anywho, hope the damaged amp is ok as far as powering up and playing, hopefully no internals were harmed.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

It would be nice if he could wire the damaged amp up and run it alone, but that's going to be about impossible with the missing right input. Maybe open the amp carefully to check the internals before strapping it to your good amp? Not sure if one amp can take the other out, but it would sure suck if the damaged amp took your good one out with it. Not trying to worry you, but maybe take precautions where you can? I have an assumption everything will be ok, but I'm not sure if the strapping input on the back of the amp is somehow tied in with the two front inputs? May want to take a look at that before wiring? Just a suggestion...

2013 Toyota Camry SE

CT Sounds 4000.1D

(4) 8" PRV 8MB450's

Pioneer AVH-X4600BT

ToolMaker Everywhere

I do know this, once you get them strapped, you will be very impressed with the gain in power :) I know I was...

2013 Toyota Camry SE

CT Sounds 4000.1D

(4) 8" PRV 8MB450's

Pioneer AVH-X4600BT

ToolMaker Everywhere

Sucks about the amp man. I would watch it carefully for a little If you get it to power up. Would suck to have it go up in flames. Awesome subs you got there. I'm gonna have a lot of them in a build soon.

750??! Yeah, fuck that. Fuck this website, fuck SMD, fuck Steve, fuck all of his butt buddy mods, and their couches.

^ DON'T BE A DICK LIKE THIS GUY :)

Team Subsonic Lows

Sucks about the amp man. I would watch it carefully for a little If you get it to power up. Would suck to have it go up in flames. Awesome subs you got there. I'm gonna have a lot of them in a build soon.

thanks a lot dude, and that is awesome. if i could have fit anymore in my explorer i would have lol. my dream was to have 8 - DC Audio m2 XL 12s on 2 10ks lol. needless to say, im not rich...so that was out of the question. i definitely dont feel like i settled with what i have though, i really like the route i took. 18s have quite an awe factor behind them, especially when they are in a wall that makes an SUV the size of a single cab truck lol. kind of an "in your face" kind of look lol.

I don't claim to know how to solve anything, I just practice the basics. There is nothing worse than wasting hours over a problem that should have taken 5 mins. Anything I post and claim to know, I know simply because of a lesson learned from a mistake on my part.

• 4 months later...

okay, I have a follow up question on this and I didn't wanna start a new thread since its the same sort of question.

so my subs need more power...and right now I have one aq 2200 and I had considered getting a sq 2200 to match with it, but I have a couple questions. my subs are each dual 2s and they are wired in parallel to .5 ohms. it is SUCH a bitch to pull those heavy bastards out of the wall so I was hoping to keep them wired the way they are if it was possible.

my question is: what happens to a .5 impendence when another amp gets strapped into the mix? would that mean that each amp will only see .25 ohms? I wanted to make sure before I dropped money on something I would end up turning into a paper weight anyway...if that's the case and it does split the impendence, then ill prolly end up trying to find a suitable 4-5k amp that is stable at .5 and wont break the bank to get my hands on it.

thanks in advance for the help guys.

okay, I have a follow up question on this and I didn't wanna start a new thread since its the same sort of question.

so my subs need more power...and right now I have one aq 2200 and I had considered getting a sq 2200 to match with it, but I have a couple questions. my subs are each dual 2s and they are wired in parallel to .5 ohms. it is SUCH a bitch to pull those heavy bastards out of the wall so I was hoping to keep them wired the way they are if it was possible.

my question is: what happens to a .5 impendence when another amp gets strapped into the mix? would that mean that each amp will only see .25 ohms? I wanted to make sure before I dropped money on something I would end up turning into a paper weight anyway...if that's the case and it does split the impendence, then ill prolly end up trying to find a suitable 4-5k amp that is stable at .5 and wont break the bank to get my hands on it.

thanks in advance for the help guys.

yes you need to rewire them to 2 ohms with the 2 strapped amps... gonna be cheaper to get another 2200 then a 4-5k amp to run at. 5 ohm.... dont know what your electrical is but if it isnt up to par running a 4-5k amp at .5 ohms you are going to kill the amp and the subs

Archived