Second Skin Audio

Sub position in enclosure

Hi guys. I'm trying to put a 15" DC level 5 in my trunk. I have a real small trunk and trunk opening to put the box into. I'm wondering if I make an enclosure and put the sub pointed upward if it would really reduce the effectiveness rather than having it pointed to the back or front of the car? Here is a picture of the 'would be' enclosure:

enclosure_zpsa1c53270.jpg

Second question: If I did a 12" instead of a 15" would i lose a ton of dbs? This would be running of a DC 3.5K.

P.s. I'm new at this and not sure if it would also matter what side the port exit is.

Front Mids/Tweeters: Focal K2 POWER

Rear Deck Mids: Focal 165ca

Subwoofer: (1) DC Level 5 15"

Highs/Mids Amp: Mosconi Gladen One 120.4

Monoblock: DC 3.5K

Headunit: Kenwood Excelon DNN990HD

Batteries: Optima Yellow Top (hood), Kinetik HC600 (trunk), XS Power D3100 (trunk)

Car: Accord '08 Coupe... terrible trunk shape : ' (

It all depends on the car. Yes, generally a 15 will be louder because there is more cone area. As far as sub direction and port direction. Some have great luck with sub up and some don't. Same with port, you will have to try and see what happens. I'm still a fan of sub and port back in a trunk but never got to test sub up or to the side.

2013 F150 Crew Cab

Old Build Log

Feedback

2013 F150

Equipment - Some Awesome Stereo Sound Making Stuff

Every car is different. Every enclosure is different. You have to try different positions to find out the best, if your box only fits one way, then you need to build multiple boxes to test.

I would say generally I've had the best luck with sub and port facing the back. Sub up tends to produce a ton of trunk rattle.

As long as you can build the box large enough for the 15", the 15" will be louder. If you have to compromise box size, don't. A 12" in a proper box will sound better than a 15" in too small of a box.

Sub up = trunk lid rattle, and much worse with a high output sub. Think carefully what you are going to do. Best post what vehicle is it amd max dimensions for a box and then you can get more accurate feedback.

Facing upward would be the only way to fit the 15" in my trunk. Unfortunately the opening in my trunk is only 17" and I couldnt fit a box into my trunk that is higher than 15" once we consider the length of the box. I'm driving an accord '08 coupe. Would i just be better off going with a 12" level 5 pointed to the rear or cabin then ?

Also I'm not sure if anyone really answered my second question. Should the exit of the port on an enclosure be on the same side as the sub or can it be on a different side?

Max dimension with the above diagram is: 21" wide, 14" height, 32" long

can also sacrifice 6" on length to gain 1" of height to fit box into trunk.

Would it be possible to build an enclosure in the trunk so i wouldn't have to worry about trying to get it in the tiny a** opening.

2012-Honda-Accord-Coupe-Exterior-Trunk-S

Batteries: Optima Yellow Top (hood), Kinetik HC600 (trunk), XS Power D3100 (trunk)

Facing upward would be the only way to fit the 15" in my trunk. Unfortunately the opening in my trunk is only 17" and I couldnt fit a box into my trunk that is higher than 15" once we consider the length of the box. I'm driving an accord '08 coupe. Would i just be better off going with a 12" level 5 pointed to the rear or cabin then ?

Also I'm not sure if anyone really answered my second question. Should the exit of the port on an enclosure be on the same side as the sub or can it be on a different side?

Max dimension with the above diagram is: 21" wide, 14" height, 32" long

can also sacrifice 6" on length to gain 1" of height to fit box into trunk.

Would it be possible to build an enclosure in the trunk so i wouldn't have to worry about trying to get it in the tiny a** opening.

2012-Honda-Accord-Coupe-Exterior-Trunk-S

Goddamned wheel wells and strut towers are killing you in that trunk man, and the size of the trunk opening.

Just a thought, but have you thought of building a narrower enclosure longer and seeing if you can load it from inside the cabin through the fold down rear seats? I mean, maybe I can't see it from the pic, but trying to figure out how to get some more airspace in there.

Not sure how you'd work it out with the spare tire (other than a AAA membership and praying) but all those curves and odd shapes looks ripe for a fiberglass enclosure.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

That's a large trunk compared to sport cars. I'm up firing hdc4 15 on 4k in mustang gt. Sound deadner helps alot

Yeah, how is it pointed upwards? you still feeling that sub well? :)

And I can't put the box through the car and in via back seat opening. the opening is extremely small.. 15" tall. So I can;t do that if I make a box for the sub facing the rear. I'm smashing my head against the wall trying to figure this out. I can't even do 12's side by side.... >:| . I'd rather not buy a sub and find out it sounds like shit facing upward lol

I might be forced to do 2 10's...

That's a large trunk compared to sport cars. I'm up firing hdc4 15 on 4k in mustang gt. Sound deadner helps alot

Yeah, how is it pointed upwards? you still feeling that sub well? :)

And I can't put the box through the car and in via back seat opening. the opening is extremely small.. 15" tall. So I can;t do that if I make a box for the sub facing the rear. I'm smashing my head against the wall trying to figure this out. I can't even do 12's side by side.... >:| . I'd rather not buy a sub and find out it sounds like shit facing upward lol

I might be forced to do 2 10's...

Could build a bigger enclosure if you assembled it inside the trunk. Good luck if you get a flat. That, or wall behind the back seats and deaden/seal the trunk to act as your enclosure.

I know in talking crazy all around, but trying to think outside the box.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

Already came up with building it inside the trunk, this seems like the only way, issue is getting the sub in as im doing the build... and when I do the front baffle the sub would have to already be in the opening and braced straight as glue drys. Lol, I have no issue doing this and I have a CAA membership, dont even need my spare. IF something happens to the sub though I'd have to destroy the box just to get it out =_=

Archived