Second Skin Audio

to wall or not to wall

i saw a vid of a guy doing hairtricks with 2 12s so thats where i started with the idea of my destroyers smaller subs still moving that amount of air but i had a dd9515g and just got a good deal on another motor so i think a pair of 18s will be in order. how do you guys calculate the space of a wall do you build and then decide using all availible space or whats the formula or steps to use when measuring out how large it should be im going to get some measurements tomorrow to hopefully get some help for this but my plan is port top and woofers horizontal of each other. bud id like to maintain where my seats are reclined so it doesnt look like itll be a b pillar wall but something just about

Take a large piece of cardboard and cut it out to the shape of one of your sides (like driver's side or passenger side). Once you're happy with a shape you can measure the area of that cardboard by simply drawing squares, rectangles, and triangles on it and adding up all their areass then multiply by your width (don't forget to subtract out thickness of wood). Should be close enough. I'd suggest you might only have enough space to do 15's properly. Don't underestimate a good pair of 15's in a solid wall in a small car.... If there's any question about whether you have MINIMUM 6 cubes per driver go with a pair of 15's.

DD subs will perform but they want large box and large port. Make the port as big as you can and plan for a way to easily lengthen the port or shrink the area to lower tuning as desired. It's generally much easier to make a port smaller and subtract volume from a box than to make either larger after it's built.

Lastly do NOT cheap out on recone parts. DD uses some of the highest quality soft parts available and they are tailor made for those motors. Why cheap out and buy possibly inferior Chinese parts for those that won't perforrm to specs? DD isn't a shit sub that will improve with different softparts, performance will only suffer if you use anything less than OEM parts.

I vote no wall. If you aren't sure about it, you probably don't want it that bad. You'd know it if you really wanted a wall.

DD M4

Rockford Fosgate P500-4

SoundQubed HDC415 w carbon fiber cap

2 Rockford Fosagate T1675-S

XS Power D3400 Under Hood

XS Power D5100 in rear

Michael Singer 200A Alt

Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/153901-2012-veloster-update-842013-wall-build-4-15s/

Unless you go crazy getting every curve into the box they end up being mostly squared with just a few angles. Nothing some basic math and breaking the box down into a few different shapes to get the volume. You can do some basic measurements as is to get a ballpark of square feet before you build.

2013 F150 Crew Cab

Old Build Log

Feedback

2013 F150

Equipment - Some Awesome Stereo Sound Making Stuff

i saw a vid of a guy doing hairtricks with 2 12s so thats where i started with the idea of my destroyers smaller subs still moving that amount of air but i had a dd9515g and just got a good deal on another motor so i think a pair of 18s will be in order. how do you guys calculate the space of a wall do you build and then decide using all availible space or whats the formula or steps to use when measuring out how large it should be im going to get some measurements tomorrow to hopefully get some help for this but my plan is port top and woofers horizontal of each other. bud id like to maintain where my seats are reclined so it doesnt look like itll be a b pillar wall but something just about

Take a large piece of cardboard and cut it out to the shape of one of your sides (like driver's side or passenger side). Once you're happy with a shape you can measure the area of that cardboard by simply drawing squares, rectangles, and triangles on it and adding up all their areass then multiply by your width (don't forget to subtract out thickness of wood). Should be close enough. I'd suggest you might only have enough space to do 15's properly. Don't underestimate a good pair of 15's in a solid wall in a small car.... If there's any question about whether you have MINIMUM 6 cubes per driver go with a pair of 15's.

DD subs will perform but they want large box and large port. Make the port as big as you can and plan for a way to easily lengthen the port or shrink the area to lower tuning as desired. It's generally much easier to make a port smaller and subtract volume from a box than to make either larger after it's built.

Lastly do NOT cheap out on recone parts. DD uses some of the highest quality soft parts available and they are tailor made for those motors. Why cheap out and buy possibly inferior Chinese parts for those that won't perforrm to specs? DD isn't a shit sub that will improve with different softparts, performance will only suffer if you use anything less than OEM parts.

i messaged psi they said 450 shipped for everything to make them into 18s havnt heard back from DD yet

I picked up an MTX Sw1212 powered subwoofer today. This thing sounds amazing. 130 watts, 12" woofer with a passive 12" woofer tuned to 27 hz. Moving the pictures on the walls and my girl got wet from the bass when i showed her haha. Tonight should be good haha.

i messaged psi they said 450 shipped for everything to make them into 18s havnt heard back from DD yet

So PSi is charging close to DD prices for China quality. Dude, seriously, that's like buying a Mustang and putting a Pinto engine in it. Keep trying, you'll be very happy you didn't compromise on the recone parts in performance and future resale value.

where do i go to get recones from dd i messaged them but still havnt gotten anything

I picked up an MTX Sw1212 powered subwoofer today. This thing sounds amazing. 130 watts, 12" woofer with a passive 12" woofer tuned to 27 hz. Moving the pictures on the walls and my girl got wet from the bass when i showed her haha. Tonight should be good haha.

Archived