Lets talk batteries

So today i got into a conversation with a guy i recently met regarding the resting voltage of his AGMs. He had a pic of his CT VM reading 13.8V with car off and system on with vol. on low end ( this is what he said). It really seems high to me and thats why im here to get some input. He wont list the brand but he claims they are 2.25-2.3V per cell 6 cell AGMs. I found a chart on AGMs and now im kinda concerned if my AGMs are low or maybe a weak cell? My batteries are only sitting at about 13V. If this chart is correct, i feel my batteries are resting fairly low....

agmchart_zpsf4bf1255.jpg

"Toyota Camry rebuild page 21 (link)http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/183768-94-crossfire-camry-18s-walled-singer-alt-has-arrived-rebuild-starts-pg-10/page-21

PIONEER DEH-P8400BH

2 CROSSFIRE C5 1700D

2 CROSSFIRE C7 18

HOOD. NSB GROUP48 TRUNK SMS AGM400

DUAL RUNS X SCORP 1/0 OFC

275A SINGER ALT.

DYNAMAT XTREME

SOUNDSTREAM TA4.280

PIONEER COMPONENTS

Looks like safe floating voltages for the batts

Here's XS, for reference..

CC2ECBF7-D12D-442B-AC51-DC6B7CA51154_zps

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

Remember, Rest, Float and Charge are each different.

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

Wanna know what he did. He had them charged by his alt. Turned car off. Then turned radio on. Guess what. Mine will "Float" at that also for a lil bit. But guess what. Let it sit with car off after a period of time and check and I bet you its around 12.8 give or take. Resting voltage and floating voltage are 2 different things. He was at floating volatage.

05 dodge magnum rt

DEH-80PRS

Rockford fosgate T600.4

st200 tweeters

Sundown Neo Pro 6.5 v2's

2 Saz-3500v2- Toolmaker dual 1/0 inputs

2 Sundown ZV4 12" D1

1/0 Sky High Power wire OFC

3 XS D3100- Toolmaker battery terminals

Mechman 320 Amp Alt

Smd Voltmeter

KnuKoncept 1/0 OFC

Wanna know what he did. He had them charged by his alt. Turned car off. Then turned radio on. Guess what. Mine will "Float" at that also for a lil bit. But guess what. Let it sit with car off after a period of time and check and I bet you its around 12.8 give or take. Resting voltage and floating voltage are 2 different things. He was at floating volatage.

Remember, Rest, Float and Charge are each different.

Looks like safe floating voltages for the batts

Here's XS, for reference..

Ok so charging and resting voltage is pretty clear to me. I guess im not exactly familiar with floating voltage. So would you say my batteries resting around 12.9-13V is normal? Your right because he was driving through a drive through and parked to eat his food and thats when he shot the pic of his voltage. Floating voltage specs tell you weather your batteries are being over charged or under charged? Just trying to understand the purpose of floating voltage. First thing i thought was his volt meter was off or he was overcharging his batteries.

"Toyota Camry rebuild page 21 (link)http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/183768-94-crossfire-camry-18s-walled-singer-alt-has-arrived-rebuild-starts-pg-10/page-21

PIONEER DEH-P8400BH

2 CROSSFIRE C5 1700D

2 CROSSFIRE C7 18

275A SINGER ALT.

DYNAMAT XTREME

SOUNDSTREAM TA4.280

PIONEER COMPONENTS

Let me guess...

He's using magic NSB batteries?

12v batteries are 2vpc nominal (duh). 2.12, maybe 2.14vpc fully charged (resting voltage).

2.25-2.3vpc is float voltage. Like....a trickle charge.

Batts can hold a surface charge higher than resting voltage for a while (depends on age), but if they don't settle out to < 13v then they aren't friggin 12v batts.

I have this "conversation" all the time with the physicists on FB. It goes like this...

"ZOMG! My magic NSB batts are holding 14v with my stereo playing!"

"ORLY? Try it with the car off and see how long they hold 14v"

"Dooood...I'm telling you,these batts are AMAZING!"

"They are good batts, but they aren't magic"

"Bruh, I had Brand X batts before and I would drop to 9v."

"Then your old batts were bad"

"You're just a hater. I'm holding 14v"

"What kind of amperage draw are you clamping?"

"Wut? I dunno. I have a Brand X 300A alternator."

"Well... go thank Brand X for your voltage."

You get the idea.

Let me guess...

He's using magic NSB batteries?

12v batteries are 2vpc nominal (duh). 2.12, maybe 2.14vpc fully charged (resting voltage).

2.25-2.3vpc is float voltage. Like....a trickle charge.

Batts can hold a surface charge higher than resting voltage for a while (depends on age), but if they don't settle out to < 13v then they aren't friggin 12v batts.

I have this "conversation" all the time with the physicists on FB. It goes like this...

"ZOMG! My magic NSB batts are holding 14v with my stereo playing!"

"ORLY? Try it with the car off and see how long they hold 14v"

"Dooood...I'm telling you,these batts are AMAZING!"

"They are good batts, but they aren't magic"

"Bruh, I had Brand X batts before and I would drop to 9v."

"Then your old batts were bad"

"You're just a hater. I'm holding 14v"

"What kind of amperage draw are you clamping?"

"Wut? I dunno. I have a Brand X 300A alternator."

"Well... go thank Brand X for your voltage."

You get the idea.

Actually they are some off brand AGMs. I guess when I asked him resting voltage he didn't understand the batteries have to sit for a little while. He was just bragging--- " I got my car off and system on low and my batteries are putting in work saying they are resting at 13.8V. O well sometimes its not worth the argument. Hardheaded and stubborn people drive me nuts! :angry22: I still wanna looking into floating voltage a little bit. Something im not really familiar with.

PIONEER DEH-P8400BH

2 CROSSFIRE C5 1700D

2 CROSSFIRE C7 18

275A SINGER ALT.

DYNAMAT XTREME

SOUNDSTREAM TA4.280

PIONEER COMPONENTS

floating voltage is essentially a charge. a battery charger goes into float mode. pretty much this is a trickle charge. if you continued to charge your batteries at charging voltage once full they would gas and degrade the battery. the float charge just keeps them topped off without ruining. pretty much charges them up, then lets them fall back down to resting, then charges a little and lets them fall back down.

a float point on a battery can only be obtained after charge from an outside power source. this higher float voltage creates a surface charge which will only last at most 24 hours maybe 48 hours before the battery falls to its true resting voltage.which should be 13.1 ish or under for agm

Buyer/Seller Feedback Thread: http://www.stevemead...5015-bump4life/
MB C220 153 Trunk Car Build Log: http://www.stevemead...d/#entry1840136
MB C280 Ipad Dash SQ Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/194484-bump4lifes-new-benz-tony-c-relay-kit-pictures-ce-electric-audison-front-stage-installed/
My SPL Log: http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

BMW M340 xDrive

Stock, for now. Corner Load 10" maybe soon. But does 10s in the 1/4...
Best Scores out of a trunk
153.0 sealed legal full tilt clamped 5524 @ 42 hz
154+ windows down, 155+ kick

floating voltage is essentially a charge. a battery charger goes into float mode. pretty much this is a trickle charge. if you continued to charge your batteries at charging voltage once full they would gas and degrade the battery. the float charge just keeps them topped off without ruining. pretty much charges them up, then lets them fall back down to resting, then charges a little and lets them fall back down.

a float point on a battery can only be obtained after charge from an outside power source. this higher float voltage creates a surface charge which will only last at most 24 hours maybe 48 hours before the battery falls to its true resting voltage.which should be 13.1 ish or under for agm

Good info! I think that actually answered all my questions. Lol, Thanks!

PIONEER DEH-P8400BH

2 CROSSFIRE C5 1700D

2 CROSSFIRE C7 18

275A SINGER ALT.

DYNAMAT XTREME

SOUNDSTREAM TA4.280

PIONEER COMPONENTS

Archived