Second Skin Audio

clipping or going under box tuning?

OP if you are only going to 23 on the volume then you might be fine, but low drops in voltage and a lower end amp can still lead to clipping. As for glue smelling like burnt coils, the smell of a burnt coil is not actually the wire it is the glue. Clipping causes the wire to heat up to very high temperatures which in turn cause the glue to burn off and let the windings of the coil unravel. As for the HDS's not being able to handle much power. They can handle rated as long as the signal is VERY clean. On a lot of higher end subs, really high quality glue is used, and it takes it longer to burn, so a little bit of clipping most likely won't hurt it too quickly. As for the cheaper HDS's, they supposedly use much lower quality glue which can start burning off pretty fast at a pretty low temp.

it might just be the amp i know its a pretty cheap amp as for my voltage i dont its that bad since its not droppping below 13 volts, after few minutes of playing it drops to like 12.7 lowest ive seen it drop is to 12.4 but it rarely happens and when that happens i lower the volume right away its just real weird i set the subsonic to like 30 hertz to see what changes but it just seems real weird. it might as well be the glue on the coils not so sure.

It's already been said several times, no DD1 or oscilloscope, you're probably clipping. All other explanations of how you're "only" at half volume ect. Do not negate the fact several of us do not have faith in the fact that your system is tuned correctly because you lack the proper tools.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

And those hdc3 12s can handle WAY more power. My brother has 1 on a 2200.1!

Too bad OP said HDS which are know to turn the coils into slinkys at less than rated power due to shoddy glues that you typically get on coils from China.

OP, if you smell your coils it's time to turn things down or buy better woofers.

lol so you are saying that the hds3 cant handle half of what they are rated for? idk man something doesnt seem right with your statement, its soundqubed not power acoustik these guys are known for doing quality and im sure they can handle atleast 1000 rms each . right now they are only at around 600 rms each

Saw a couple threads online and met a person IRL who had the HDS fail at well below rated power, so yeah, I'm going to say they're cheap Chinese junk. How many people have you heard blowing up a DD 95XX, Sundown Nightshade, Atomic APXX, etc. with significantly less than rated power?

If you think AQ/SQ is a premium brand of subwoofer you really need to get out more. They're a great value for the money, but there's a reason they're priced where they are.

And those hdc3 12s can handle WAY more power. My brother has 1 on a 2200.1!

Too bad OP said HDS which are know to turn the coils into slinkys at less than rated power due to shoddy glues that you typically get on coils from China.

OP, if you smell your coils it's time to turn things down or buy better woofers.

lol so you are saying that the hds3 cant handle half of what they are rated for? idk man something doesnt seem right with your statement, its soundqubed not power acoustik these guys are known for doing quality and im sure they can handle atleast 1000 rms each . right now they are only at around 600 rms each

Saw a couple threads online and met a person IRL who had the HDS fail at well below rated power, so yeah, I'm going to say they're cheap Chinese junk. How many people have you heard blowing up a DD 95XX, Sundown Nightshade, Atomic APXX, etc. with significantly less than rated power?

If you think AQ/SQ is a premium brand of subwoofer you really need to get out more. They're a great value for the money, but there's a reason they're priced where they are.

Personally I Dont think the HDS line should speak for the whole SQ subwoofer lineup. Hdc's are great for the money and out price many mainstream brands of lesser quality. Too bad I don't like SQ's woofers though.

Archived