Sundown Audio

Amp is rated for way more power speakers can handle, how to set the gain?

masonv6

True

Yeah, this is when the DMM method actually does work fairly well. As he described above, you can find your target, which should be lower than the speakers RMS rating to start. But then it's all about using your ears, eyes, and nose. Adjust up from there a tiny bit at a time until you can tell the speakers aren't happy, then back off some from there. Headroom is a great thing :)

No it sure isn't. if the signal coming from the source unit is clipped or distorted anything coming out of the amp will be too no matter what the gain is set at. Put shit in get shit out.

Agreed. I guess I assumed he knew his HU, if you don't then you should figure that out. But as has been said already, DD-1 does nothing if you're setting well under rated RMS power on your amp. That's all I was talking about. Oscope is the tool to use to verify, but DMM will absolutely suffice in this situation.

i understand.. but you can just do that with your ear. All that math on the planet, is still not going to account for a billion other varibles that your all guessing at. That was my point.

Fuck, just run with the gain all the way down then.... I bet that will last about 1 song, as well as him staying at 3/4 volume..lol. Just saying. Not hating.

Very true. It would work fine if he was careful and conservative with his volume, but really to do it right he should use a oscope or a DD with a DMM.

correct.. im with ya.

like with the math deal.. take your nominal load as part of the equasion, well fuck, i can blow on a sub and change the impedance........ When your playing a tone? certainly you could "see some sort of constant" output... but music.. say good night sally.

Like i said, id trust my ear (but, i really really like my ears, and i do know what im hearing.. ) more than "crunching some numbers" in that fashion. If your just gonna half ass it, you may as well full ass it. :shrug:

True

Yeah, this is when the DMM method actually does work fairly well. As he described above, you can find your target, which should be lower than the speakers RMS rating to start. But then it's all about using your ears, eyes, and nose. Adjust up from there a tiny bit at a time until you can tell the speakers aren't happy, then back off some from there. Headroom is a great thing :)

No it sure isn't. if the signal coming from the source unit is clipped or distorted anything coming out of the amp will be too no matter what the gain is set at. Put shit in get shit out.

Agreed. I guess I assumed he knew his HU, if you don't then you should figure that out. But as has been said already, DD-1 does nothing if you're setting well under rated RMS power on your amp. That's all I was talking about. Oscope is the tool to use to verify, but DMM will absolutely suffice in this situation.

i understand.. but you can just do that with your ear. All that math on the planet, is still not going to account for a billion other varibles that your all guessing at. That was my point.

Fuck, just run with the gain all the way down then.... I bet that will last about 1 song, as well as him staying at 3/4 volume..lol. Just saying. Not hating.

Very true. It would work fine if he was careful and conservative with his volume, but really to do it right he should use a oscope or a DD with a DMM.

correct.. im with ya.

like with the math deal.. take your nominal load as part of the equasion, well fuck, i can blow on a sub and change the impedance........ When your playing a tone? certainly you could "see some sort of constant" output... but music.. say good night sally.

Like i said, id trust my ear (but, i really really like my ears, and i do know what im hearing.. ) more than "crunching some numbers" in that fashion. If your just gonna half ass it, you may as well full ass it. :shrug:

Half assed full blast?

True

correct.. im with ya.

Half assed full blast?

Your trippin if you aint clippin :)

So far the biggest mistake you made (OP), is posting a question in an online forum! :throwrock:

Several systems, several vehicles. Always changing!

DCSig_zpsgm88292n.jpg

2013 MECA State Champion (trunk 1)

2014 MECA State Champion (mod 4)

2014 MECA state Champion (Park and Pound 4)

2014 DBDRAG 6th place North America Finals (SS1-2)

2014 BASS RACE 6th place North America Finals (139.9)

buy another set of components

2010 Chevrolet Cruze

Radio --- pioneer mvh-200vbt

Front/back --- alpine type s 6.5"

Sub Control --- Pac LC1

Sub Amp --- GZPA 1.4K

Sub --- GZNW 15XSPL D1

Battery - GZBP 12.2500X

Archived