Second Skin Audio

Need insight on building an octo-port...

JesseyMclame

So I've got 2 XSv2 18s on the way to me, and as far as the box goes, I know I want to do an octo-port. I've always, always used round ports and aero ports and such, and I love the look of octo-ports. Only thing is, I have NO idea how to calculate how wide the 8 cuts have to actually be to get the diameter I want, or the angle to cut the pieces at. Please any and all insight accepted lol.

Current setup in my 96 Hoe

Hu - Pioneer DEH-80prs.

Amps - (4) Crossfire C5 1700D's, MTX Thunder 5604(mids), PPI Art 300.2 (tweets)

Batts - 4 91ah rear batts, 50ah batt up front.

Subs - 2 Crossfire XSv2 18's

Alt - Singer 330A

Front stage - Random JL & Eclipse mids, Eclipse tweets

This is another way to cut the pieces:

Octo_zps301c1102.jpg

That's how I did my last octo-port. All the angles are 45 degrees, which can be easier to cut, and you have more surface area for gluing.

No matter which way you do it these things are a total pain the ass to glue up. I hope you have a brad nailer to help hold things together while the glue dries.

Here is the last one I did, I thought it came out well:

2014-07-02212221_zps48ef33cc.jpg

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

See I open that and still get confused on exactly what numbers I'm punching where. My idea is that utilizing precision ports' port calculator, I'll figure out what size port I will want, so say I want a 12" port. Okay, now that's the inner diameter. I know I'll have to cut each piece with a 22.5 angle on each side, but is there like a.. Less complicated way, to me lol, to figure out how wide to make the cut

Hu - Pioneer DEH-80prs.

Alt - Singer 330A

Octo_zps301c1102.jpg

That's how I did my last octo-port. All the angles are 45 degrees, which can be easier to cut, and you have more surface area for gluing.

No matter which way you do it these things are a total pain the ass to glue up. I hope you have a brad nailer to help hold things together while the glue dries.

I'm sorry idk how I missed your post ! But that's a beaaaaautiful box. But a brad nailer isn't the issue. Just figuring out how wide to make the cuts for the size port I want lol

Hu - Pioneer DEH-80prs.

Alt - Singer 330A

See I open that and still get confused on exactly what numbers I'm punching where. My idea is that utilizing precision ports' port calculator, I'll figure out what size port I will want, so say I want a 12" port. Okay, now that's the inner diameter. I know I'll have to cut each piece with a 22.5 angle on each side, but is there like a.. Less complicated way, to me lol, to figure out how wide to make the cut

Place the port area you want at the red arrow, pick the internal edge length from the place where the blue arrow is, that will be A in the diagram I posted above.

octo.gif

The number in the blue arrow is A in the diagram below:

octagon.jpg

Octo_zps301c1102.jpg

great thing about that style is it's easy to set the angle on your table saw, making a true 45 degree angle out of wood is alot easier than trying to make a 22.5 degree angle

(my table has nothing indicating angle, so I set the blade using different templates)

Archived